Large Glossed Window Frame

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Mick86, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Mick86

Mick86 New Member

Hello to all on the 'Painters' Talk' forum, hope you can advise.

I have quite a job on my hands - repainting a glossed window frame which has not been painted in at least 20 years and as you can see from the pictures the bare wooden frame is visible in some areas, paint is cracking in other places. The exceptions are probably the sides (see images 3 + 4). I was planning on:

1) remove all loose paint and fill any holes or large cracks with filler
    2) wash down the entire frame with sugar soap
    3) sandpaper the frame (any specific grade of paper)
    4) prime the exposed wood (2-3 coats on affected areas)
    5) undercoat the entire frame?
    5) satingloss/gloss the frame (2-3 coats with a light sanding between coats?)

No doubt the above may highlight a degree of naiveity on my part but hopefully that's where you all come to my aid!

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

All my best
    Mick
    Window Frame 1.jpg Window Frame 2.jpg Window Frame 3.jpg Window Frame 4.jpg Window Frame 5.jpg

2. You pretty much have it covered there, Mick.

Unless you have the specific tools that can help in these sorts of hellish jobs - detail sander, the wee triangular type, etc - then it's a case of jumping in and removing the really bad stuff first with whatever it takes! The paint-filled grooves - I'd run a Stanley blade down each side and try and cut away a triangular sliver of paint from in there - save you hours of sanding. Then get a former/profile that will fit in that groove and wrap 120 grit around it - work it up and down...

Tackle the really nasty thick paint with whatever comes to hand - nice sharp wood chisels work well - at least until they slip and you bleed.

Be happy to use really coarse grade paper - 80 or possibly even lower - and a block to shift large amounts of thick and bumpy paint. Once it's roughly flattened, move up to finer - 180 will probably be ok to prepare for the undercoat.

One extra thing I'd suggest - once it's all sanded and before you apply the primer on that bare wood, give it a good soaking with a decent wood treatment like 5* from Ronseal(?), especially around the contact points with the glass.

Allow to dry - and then prime and stuff.

3. Oh, and take photos to show yer progress :)

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Looks to be a right 'pane' to do! :cool:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. @@@tumbleweed@@@

:)

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Would just add that after the prep, caulk the section where frame meets sill, wall. work into any gaps/cracks and wipe off excess with a damp rag

Don't be tempted to use too much caulk or use the classic 'damp finger' tool to smooth out

You want to maintain that nice 90 degree angle where 2 surfaces meet and the caulk helps to prevent cracks from forming as it remains slightly flexible. Being acrylic/water based, it's overpaintable with all paint types, as opposed to silicon which can be tricky

A 2 part wood filler such as Ronseal is very good for permanent repairs, sands down to a glass like finish (working through several paper grades) is relatively easy to sand sets in 10-15 mins so no delay in your prep and work flow

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. Yep - getting in to these right angles edges can be a pain, and spookily enough a sanding block with a crisp right-angled corner often ain't good enough.

I have a block which I've planed an edge so's it more acute(?) - chust a wee bit more so - and this gets right in there and crisps up the rounded painty things.

For the decor grooves, I'd try folding a piece of coarseish paper around the blade end of a filling knife, and that'll get in there nicely (after having removed what you can with a blade...)

8. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

If you need to scrape get a proper carbide bladed scraper like this
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-heavy-duty-tungsten-carbide-wood-scraper-9/45940
    or the sandvic/bahco ones. If the paint is really thick it's not a bad idea to scrape it off if you can, cos it often chips off after you've painted. Watch out for dust etc, quite likely there's lead-based paint on there.

9. Mick86

Mick86 New Member

Never thought I'd find an advocate in the devil! Thanks a lot for your comments DA. I wouldn't have thought about using the Stanley knife in the way you describe - I'd have carried on sanding the grooves until my arms fell off. Will also take note re the wood treatment agent prior to using primer. As you say it's a case of removing all the bad stuff first and that is going to take time and a lot of patience. No specic tools just the good old chisel and stanley knife.
    Really appreciate your advice DA
    All my best
    Mick

10. Mick86

Mick86 New Member

No problem, should be ready for Christmas 2017 :D

11. Mick86

Mick86 New Member

Evening Koolpc....I've been well and truly framed!!

12. Mick86

Mick86 New Member

Cheers DIYDave, I would have definitely overlooked that. Considering the effort going into this job it would be foolish not to caulk
    All my best
    Mick

13. Mick86

Mick86 New Member

More good advice there Devil's Advocate and duly noted.

14. Mick86

Mick86 New Member

Cheers 2shortplanks - I've just taken a look at the wood scraper and it's a no-brainer. Regarding the lead-based paint - I always wear a dustmask, no electric sanders etc and tend to work as gently as possible with the chisel thereby minimising any dust exposure. Any other advice on this front?