Last Radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by David492, Nov 27, 2015.

1. David492

David492 New Member

Hi Last radiator in system not getting warm at all. Central heating is pressurised to 1.5 bar, with HW gravity fed (no idea why this has been done!)

Have closed all TRVs and closed lockshield on all rads except one in lounge which has traditional valves. Still didn't force water thru last rad, so removed radiator and flushed thru, water was actually very clean. Drew water thru both valves when rad was off and got hot water. Refitted rad and bled and repressurised system.

Tried to rebalance system by small turns on lockshields in order from the boiler.

Still no hot water to either pipe on last radiator.

Lost for ideas now, help please

2. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

You can try back flushing the pipes if you think they could be blocked, Plastic or copper pipes? Could have a kink in plastic.
    Could be piped up incorrectly e.g 2 flows or 2 return pipes to the same rad
    Air lock possibly try bleeding the rad then pulling through with a wet vac if you have one or can borrow one.
    Cold pressure should only be 1 bar any more is just putting excess pressure on every joint rad pump heat exchanger etc

3. David492

David492 New Member

Copper pipes and radiator has worked in past but not for a while.
    Got a wet vac will try drawing water thru, and drop pressure.

4. DNR Plumbing

I've done it with great success bleed nipple out and go for it if you can
    Might need someone topping up the boiler while you vac the rad

tore81 likes this.
  5. David492

David492 New Member

Hi DNR Plumbing
    I have drawn about 6 pints thru the bleed valve with the wet vac, the pipes get luke warm but rad still cold. Had to repressurise twice. Should I continue?

6. DNR Plumbing

No that's more than enough your not getting flow to it for some reason try closing all valves on all other rads and see if it gets hot with both its valves open fully

7. David492

David492 New Member

the plot thicken... turned off all bar 1 rad which is working and faulty one.
    Feed pipe of faulty rad started to get hot, but rad only slightly warm, return pipe cold. Turned off the working rad and the faulty rad pipe stopped being warm and boiler switched off.

Any further thoughts appreciated

8. DNR Plumbing

Piped up incorrectly that's why when you shut the flow to the correct good rad the boiler overheated and turned off

9. David492

David492 New Member

So the feed to the faulty rad DOESNT have the TVR on that end, is all I need to do is move the TVR to the feed to the radiator?

10. DNR Plumbing

I would suggest that it's been installed incorrectly rather than a faulty valve
    You can remove the TRV replace with a lockshield and text again