Latex-Like Layer of Paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Mosaix, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Yesterday I was stripping wallpaper from a chimney breast using a steam stripper. Paper come off easy enough but every now and then a layer of paint(?) ballooned up underneath the paper. This pulled off down to the plaster like a latex film - but only in patches. The paint elsewhere seems quite stable and very difficult to remove. So I'm left with a very uneven surface that I want to paint.

Is the only option to remove the remaining paint and if so how?

2. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Thanks KIAB. The reason I thought it was paint is that it's coloured magnolia. Would PVA be translucent, maybe white?

But I'll try your hot water. Maybe the steamer would help?

3. Hi Mos.

This could be any number of things, but most likely is simply wallpaper paste mingling with the emulsion paint that was underneath it.

Why is it only happening in some places? Possibly chust because these bits had more heat an' steam from the stripper.

This is the nightmare scenario - a partially stripped wall with patches of paint and areas of bare plaster... :(

I think what I'd try is a gently extra application of the stripper on the remaining painted surfaces to see if these too become 'latexy' and can be scraped off.
    Gentle, tho' - too much steamin' can 'blow' the plaster (although that would be unlucky.)

Once you've got the surface to the best you can , then it might be a case of allowing it to dry thoroughly and then light sanding of the painted areas, especially around the edges so's they blend in 'feather' to the plaster.

But it can be a 'mare.

If you can, try and remove all the paint - that's the best outcome, so's the surface is all at one level. Failing that, it's a case of blending in the higher paint pieces to the lower bear plaster. That's usually a mix of sanding, adding a smear of 'fine-surface' filler along the edges of the paint to blend it in to the plaster, followed by gentle sanding.

If the surface looks 'dodge' at all - traces of paste still remaining, etc - then there's an excellent sealer/primer called Zinsser Gardz that'll even it all.

See if you can remove the rest of the paint first, tho'.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Still half a sleep this morning,need coffee, they probably painted the bare plaster with neat emulsion instead of applying a mist coat to seal the plaster first.
    You might hot water with a spot of washing up liquid wil be enough to soften it & let you peel it off, you will need to seal the wall before painting,with one of the Zinsser product.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Steam can be too hot,to much penatration, hence my use of hot water DA.:)

And thanks, Zinsser Gardz was the name eluding me.

6. Yes, it needs judging carefully.

But, it's chust another step beyond stripping the paper - it would take a good 10+ seconds in the same place to risk blowing the plaster - and that's a looooong time.

If the plaster is in decent condition...

7. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Thanks both.

If it comes to it (it's a big area) would a new plaster skim do the trick or would I have to remove the paint first anyway?

8. No, you can have it skimmed over, paint an' all (as long as it's well attached).

The plasterer will know what to do - prime the surface first, etc.

9. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Thanks DA.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds more like ready mixed wallpaper adhesive.;)

11. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Thanks Astramax.

Funny thing: KIAB's original reply to my thread-starter has disappeared. I know it was there, I replied to it in what is now post number 2.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It became No4, me being an idiot...:rolleyes:
    And even then my grammar was poor, I need coffee & plenty of it to function properly first thing in the morning.:(

13. I think you'll find that the replies are placed in order of brilliance... :rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bar-steward...:p

Offically I was second,accidently deleted wrong post, as you see reply No2 proves it...;)

15. What you mean is, you posted before me, read my more awesomer post and then deleted yours... :p

(This one could run and run... :rolleyes:)

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Why are you last DA?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Wonder if the paint is silk magnolia seeing as some patches are ballooning up with the steam

That silk paint behaves very strangely indeed

Have found out myself when steaming off paper work very carefully around any cracks in the plaster. The steam gets behind the plaster via the crack and blows off a flippin great big patch in seconds :(

18. Good point.

Silk emulsion is more waterproof than matt, but can behave in weird ways as Dave says.

19. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Thanks DIYDave. Can't remember - it's over twenty five years since that paint went on.

I've decided to have the area skimmed. Thanks everyone for the input / advice. Appreciated.

Right now I'm taking a rest from the acute pain at the back of my left should brought on by holding a steam stripper against the ceiling. It's going to be a long job - 15sq mtrs.

20. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Just thought I'd update this for anyone else with the same problem.

Plasterer visited. He's seen similar elsewhere. Says it's probably silk paint (well done DIYDave) blown off by the steam stripper. Says the easiest fix is a plaster skim.

Thanks everyone.