laying a screed floor?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by J4M35, Feb 17, 2007.

1. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

ever tapped a screed floor and it sounds hollow ? thats because it's not been sealed

2. deacon

deacon New Member

yes I have tapped a screaded floor and it did sound a little hollow................................ , thats becasue we put 60mm celotex down first , does this require pva,and tell me were does this piece of knowledge appear in building requirements

3. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

It's probably not in the building requirements it's just 30 years of experience .. It's where the concrete is to porous and sucks the moister out of the screed and doesn't bond right to the base.... and no celotex doesn't need p.v.a.ing

4. deacon

deacon New Member

well I would soak the area in water if it was bear concrete , and what would happen if it was sythapoof

5. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

You could try a cement and water slurry spread ove the sub floor prior to screeding.

6. deacon

deacon New Member

You could try a cement and water slurry spread ove the sub floor prior to screeding

why

7. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

because water soaks up fast on a concrete floor when its pvaed it seals it and thats that no need to wet it again

8. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

If you have never done it before, and its a large area I would say dont do it yourself, get a professional in.

I dont (as a professional) use battens, just a long level, I use knee pads and a labourer to knock up the mix. I lay and level with a float and maybe trowel over to finish, usually at the edges for a nice clean finish. Mix is done by buckets to a ratio of 4/5:1 (as in 4 buckets of sand one bucket of cement) in a mixer, as stated else where, in a dry mix able to hold its self together. If using an insulation (celotex) under the screed chicken wire should be used (laid) in the mix.

9. deacon

deacon New Member

you are not a professional , batterns pva, maybe trowel and a guage of 4 or 5 and 1 , you only thing you were right on was chicken wire

10. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

Well I make my living as a builder, have done for many years now, never had any problems with 5 to 1 if mixed properly, what do you do for a living, may I ask?

And if 'aving a pop' at me please read my posts before slagging me off, Oh and learn how to spell 'battern'!

11. STGO

STGO New Member

"Battern", LMAO :^O