Laying cable across a garden

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by James V, May 23, 2015.

1. James V

James V Member

I'm building an outhouse in my garden and need to get power to it. Is there a tool I can hire (I'm imagining an electronic mole type thing...) that could lay the cable for me without having to dig a trench through the garden?

Cheers

James

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

3. JD 6400

JD 6400 New Member

Hi James , moling is always a good option that seems to always get over looked !
    You may have to have a little search to find one to hire , but one of your local hire shops should be able to point you in the right direction .
    From what I have heard from customers , they have been offered them from £90 per day upwards to hire themselves .

They are not electronic and work off compressed air , so make sure you get the whole kit including the marker post and aiming sights . To be honest the launch cradle is a bit gimmicky in my opinion and I can not even remember the last time we used them .
    As long as you are 110% sure that you have no other services in the line of the then you will not need to cat scan first , but if you can get hold of one it would be wise . And make sure you go in deep enough , as a rule of thumb I have found at least 10 to 12 times the circumference of your mole , or it will hunt for the surface within a few meters .
    And always meter mark your air line with tape before starting , so if the mole does go astray you have some chance of knowing where to dig and find it with just the one hole !

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What the distance involved?

Grundomat Moles seem to be most common for hire, & you need a large compressor.:eek:

http://www.speedyservices.com/08_2500-h-mole-45mm

Thought about using a micro excavator with 150mm bucket instead, will fit through a 760mm opening.

5. JD 6400

JD 6400 New Member

Grundomat are the best in my experience , they just seem to hold their course more accurately for some reason !?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plenty of firms out there who offer moling service for residential places, might be easier than hiring.

JD 6400 likes this.
  7. JD 6400

JD 6400 New Member

I tend to agree with you , as we have 5 of them in total .
    But it is not the black art that some seem to think it is , as long as you have a bit of common sense , what could go wrong!:rolleyes:

8. James, what distance are we talking about, and what sort of terrain - and ground cover?

Any reason why you cannot chose a safe-ish route and just cut a slot using a spade?! Drop in some SWA - job done.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sadly,some youngsters today don't how to use a spade.

Neighbour here hired mini digger to dig 10metres of footings barely 300mm depth.:eek:

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Fun toys to play with though...

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Where I come from you call a spade a spade.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What is you from, Aaafrica?

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Being racist again Andy?

14. Mr. Handyandy

I'm not racist in the first instance.

Saying, nobody ever heard of a black man being called racist for calling a black man a black man.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Our Mr Ha ain't homophobic either.

Nope.

16. Mr. Handyandy

Oooh, I wouldn't go so far as to say that!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What about if it was a gay black man.

18. Why do visualise you saying "Ooooh" with one hand on yer hip and t'other swatting a non-existent fly in front of you?

19. Mr. Handyandy

Are you making some sort of slanderish insinuation?

"Get me lawyers!"

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Messrs Sue, Grabbit and Runn, Ruination St, Lying Lane, Laaandon.