Laying Concrete Foundations

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by benben5555, Nov 8, 2015.

1. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Hi,

I'm building a new kitchen extension and want to do a fair bit of it myself. I'm going to hire a mini digger to dig the foundations and then want to lay the concrete strip foundations myself.

Are there any particular techniques I need to know or is it just a matter of compacting the trench bottoms, pouring in the concrete and then tamping and levelling?

I'm an experienced and competent DIYer, just want to make sure I don't overlook something. My structural engineer is going to provide the size of the foundation.

Cheers

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Once you've dug the trenches they will need to be inspected by the BCO, for width and depth.

When you lay the concrete the most important thing is it's level, also, it is an exact number of bricks below DPC.

benben5555 likes this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is it a small extension, level and solid ground, no services (gas, water) nearby ?

4. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Hi,

The ground is level and solid, I've got to bridge over some drainage but otherwise no services nearby

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Apart from the bridging it is just a matter of getting the base of the founds flat and square to the sides. Remove any loose material from the bottom of the founds.

Only dig the founds out if you are going to get the concrete in within a day or so. You can get into an awful state if the sides collapse and you have to re-dig.

If using readmix make sure you have enough to do it in one pour and a use for any excess

6. As Phil says, I understand your BCO needs to examine the trenches before you pour the concrete.

They can make you do exploratory digs alongside it to prove the depth of the poured founds if you don't...

7. #doublework

8. And a cross BCO who will treat you with suspicion from that moment on... :oops:

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And some BCO's are sticklers for sides of trenches being straight & flat bottom trenches.
    A upset BCO can make your life hell:mad:.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Out of interest what depth you are planning on ?

11. benben5555

benben5555 Member

My neighbour did a similar extension and he went to 1m, we have very heavy clay soil.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thats going to be quite a bit of digging and spoil to shift a lot of work this time year

13. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Definitely involve BC. Few years ago I did a small 3m x 3m single storey extension on a new house. Because it was on made up ground (as the developers tend to do to avoid carting away much of the dig), and was <10m from an oak tree (about 9m away!) had to go down 2.5m and have it tanked!! So much concrete went down the hole it would never move in a million years, but BC was happy.

14. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Can you drive a machine?? Might be easier/safer to do it by hand often a machine can be too much on small footings especially when close to your exciting house

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How exciting is the house? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. benben5555

benben5555 Member

I can drive a fork lift, which in my minds means I'm also an excellent digger driver!

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Whist it takes practice, getting reasonable results with mini digger inst't that hard - much less than hand digging 1m in heavy clay