Laying Laminate flooring on a conservatory concrete floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by feival, Jul 24, 2006.

1. feival

feival New Member

Hi, I am about to lay some Floormaster aqualoc onto our south facing conservatory floor. I have a few questions:

1) how well does this stuff survive the sun - our conservatory gets VERY hot during much of the year
    2) The concrete floor is pretty smooth but not perfectly smooth. I had toyed with levelling compound but have never used it before and nervous of screwing it up. Someone mentioned laying 6mm chipboard as a surface to even out the imperfections. Should I do either of these or alternatively chance it with the thick green felt boards form Wickes at £19.99 which I have always used previously with no problem
    3) I am assuming the base is damp proofed - we have lived here for 4 years now and it has always been perfectly dry - I presume that is evidence enough?

cheers
  2. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Acclimatise it well, min 48hrs, leave good expansion gap, you will still need dpm underlay.
    If the concrete has minor pits/imperfections don't worry, the main concern is sudden hight differences or ridges.
    Ideally the room needs to be between 18/27degrees and the humidity 40-60%
    Sunlight will not fade the floor but excess heat and high humidity can cause the floor to expand more than usual (hence the big expansion gaps.
    The main problem with this is that when the floor expands it has force on it so will expand as one piece, when it contracts again there is no force on the floor so the boards will contract individually causing gaps in the floor.
    To be sure you will need a dehumidifier.
  3. feival

feival New Member

Thanks for the tip. By good gap do I assume 15mm is ok - 10mm being usual? When you say I will still need a DPM what is that exactly. I have got some foam underlay from B&Q which is apparently a DPM if I seal it with the tap it comes with. Or should I use something else, then the felt underlay and then lay on top?

In my mind I think this will last 5 years max and then need replacing but it isn't so expensive when layed by me so I will be happy with that!
  4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

dpm underlay is a "damp proof membrane", combi-underlays are pe foam with either a plastic or foil layer, i imagine you have either one or the other.
    The dpm is needed to prevent any of the moisture in the concrete making contact with the underside of the flooring.
    Expansion gaps for conservatories (small to med sized) about 12-14mm, much more than that and you may struggle to find skirting/beading to cover it.
    You should comfortably get 5yrs out of it.
  5. feival

feival New Member

Thank you again. I now realise I have the choice of the all in one foam or the dpm plastic sheeting and then the green felt. What optoin would you recommend. I don't mind about hte cost - just want the best of the two. Also, I will need two sheet of the dpm - I presume they need to be joined - is duct tape ok for that?

cheers

Steve
  6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

7. mark is stuck

mark is stuck New Member

Hi

i wonder if you can help. i am trying to put AquaLoc flooring down in my hall and the instructions say that i shoule connect all the boards end to end in a strip and then get the whole strip and connect it (side).....this is quite difficult as the strip is like 6 boards long! the last time a layed laminate, i just built it one plank at a time by fitting the side first and then tapping the end to fit it up to the last board but due to the design of AquaLoc it appears that i can do this. have i understood the instructions or are there any tips you could let me have???

Thanks
  8. Guest

No easy way! you at one end, wife at the other end mother in law in the middle to help take the bend out as you lift a row into place , (not joking)
  9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

there is another way ;)
  10. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Aw! come on now Audi, don't be that way your input here is highly regarded and even old dogs like new tricks so lets have it. Cheers !
  11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

It's bloody hard to explain!
    ok, i'll try.
    fit as many as you can by putting short joints together the locking long joint.
    Then next plank drop the short joint in as close as you can to the long joint in the previous row.
    Then Kneel on the plank that is fitted and bend it up towards you, now bang the board forward with the palm of your hand and it will lock in.
    Sorry if it sounds a load of 80llox but it is hard to explain.
    I may start a fitting course for everyone to show you all.
    The fees will be 4 beer tokens for the two hour course and 12 beer tokens for the full day ;)
  12. joesoap

joesoap New Member

What is it with this Aqualoc is it an old lot as I thought the contortionist stuff went out with the origiinal laminate glueing pattern years ago. Or it's maybe a new fangled not so good idea. Anyway looks like you would'nt recommend it , right ! Cheers ! Oh ! and is there knee pads supplied on the course or does that mean another beer Sign me up for the whole day. ! Off to kip now.
  13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

nah joe, this type of joint is used by lots of firms now, balterio for one who have a massive range of laminate