Laying New Floorboards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Anak, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Anak

Anak New Member

Hi all,

I have a room that is being renovated, currently it is back to the brickwork and joists. I have new floorboards to go down and have laid them down loose with a small gap at each end ~2 - 5 mm.
    I am wondering a few things now, as I am not sure what I have done is completely correct.
    Firstly I am wondering if I should have put up the plasterboard first or made allowances for it, as at the moment once the plasterboard goes onto the walls lifting any boards in future would be made impossible as the plasterboard would be over the boards.
    Secondly is this enough of a gap at the end, when looking some sites they recommend 10mm at each end, to allow for any movement, would this be from the brick or in from plasterboard (if the second then skirting would hardly cover that and leave a risk of a gap)?
    They are cut, but I can obviously cut more if needed, however boards are not cheap and while I can cut then shorter I cant make them longer. I want it done right, so don't mind making changes if needed.

Next comment is related to securing, I have a preference for screws over nails so I think this is the way i'm going, however what would anyone advise? I was just thinking standard gold screws although I'm not sure of the sizing to use (floorboards are 6x1"). Also not sure how they would look, or if the heads would potentially cause the wood to split.

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'll leave the chippies on here to answer the technical aspects of this, but won't the ends of the boards be covered be covered by skirtings anyway? :confused:

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you decide to screw the boards down, look at 'TongueTite Screws' self piloting & countersinking, these screws are brilliant.
    They come with T10 torx head bit, once your screw your boards down, they will never come loose.
    I usually would leave 10-12mm gap from brickwork, this gap is then cover by plasterboard & then skirting, & it should still be possible to lift the boards.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tongue-tite-screws-3-5-x-45mm-pack-of-200/85991?_requestid=360657

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    FatHands likes this.
  4. Anak

Anak New Member

Thanks, I'll definitely get those screws if they can be used "top down" the boards I have are not T&G but flat edged, I assume they would still work...shame as I see no way of hiding the screws.

As for the lifting to clarify a single floorboard runs the entire width of the room, so it will be covered at both sides. I don't see how they will be lift-able without cutting in the future (if required) - which I want to avoid if possible.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ah!

I thought you were staggering the boards.

6. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Lay your floorboards before you plasterboard the walls leaving a 20mm gap then plasterboard and what gap is left your skirting board will cover. Cut the floorboards over a joist so the boards you want to lift are in two sections. There's noting wrong with a joint in a floorboard. Cut them before you lay them and the joints will be nice and neat rather than in the future.

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Most of the damage to the original floorboards was due to successive improvements in living, electricity, gas, then central heating. So its worth checking the layout of sockets. Assume a lot more kit for tv and such things in the future, so put in more sockets.