Laying Paving Slabs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jonny2shoes, Feb 25, 2007.

1. TonkaToy

TonkaToy New Member

I'd read the paving expert site a tad more carefully before passing judgement, Gangman. They do recommend the use of a sub base, and in some circumstances, a sub grade for most applications. Don't just read the intro pages :)

I reckon that it gives excellent, professional standard, advice myself.

2. gangman

gangman New Member

I'd read the paving expert site a tad more carefully
    before passing judgement, Gangman. They do recommend
    the use of a sub base, and in some circumstances, a
    sub grade for most applications. Don't just read the
    intro pages :)

Tonka
    How carefully do I need to read it. Never mind the intro pages look at their advice on laying flags/slabs. This is what this posting is all about.

Look at the section for sub base. I'll quote the first line;

This will not be required for a path or patio.

They may recommend a sub base in another situation but that is a definite statement that they do not use a sub base on a path or patio.

I reckon that it gives excellent, professional
    standard, advice myself.

I agree, they do give very good advice, the website is well set out and it's great for somebody who wants to have a go at hard landscaping themselves.

But if they want to criticize someone for not using their methods then they can expect it back. They would not lay slabs on dabs and they insinuate that anyone who does is a cowboy. I would not lay a path or patio without a sub base, they do, so I'm entitled to question their professionalism.

3. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Seen many patios that have sunk in places most were those on spot bedding.

just started this week on ree tileing an outdoor swimming pool, ree setting the edging stones and ree laying some of the surrounding flags were they have sunk.

The flags were layed ten years ago by two different companies after the one company walked off the job. the sunken ones are on the spot beded side the rest of the pool was done on a solid bed and is fine.

if you ree read my post you will notice that i always use a minimum of 3" of type one subbase. as i say wet or dry bed thereafter depending on conditions and jobs a goodun.

spots don't fully support slabs.

Five years is i think a long enough period for problems to have become aparent

4. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

Dabs on a solid concrete base will go nowhere...fact.

Dabs on a compacted base will move....fact.

Its all about where and when in my eyes, I dont use compacted bases any more because of movement, rather a lean mix then 5 dabs.

Its my preference, its what I do and I'm happy with it.

5. ­

­ New Member

We have been laying patios for over 30 years as part of our new build work.

We <u>always</u> put in a reinforced concrete raft prior to patio paving.

We <u>always</u> use the 5 dabs method.

We have <u>never</u> had any comebacks.

My own patio and extensive garden path work have been down over 20 years by this same method and is as solid as the day it was built.

So,

rule (1) = ALWAYS a concrete base

rule (2) = 5 big dabs is an excellent way to lay the slabs

6. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

Yer no heavy traffic should last for years

7. deacon

deacon New Member

concrete base and the 5 blob is the only way , the screed idea if not practical as already said due to the difference in thickness etc , forget treat the same as tiles ,each to there own ,but the general opinion is as above.that should be that

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

concrete base and the 5 blob is the only way , the
    screed idea if not practical as already said due to
    the difference in thickness etc , forget treat the
    same as tiles ,each to there own ,but the general
    opinion is as above.that should be that

No. It is NOT the only way, and neither is it the best way.

It is A way, and can achieve a fair result, but you are doing it again, pretending to be a professional, then using shortcuts.

DON'T LEAVE HOLLOWS.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

9. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Concrete base 5 big blobs pushed down firm almost no void pointing 100% good how often are you going to use the patio last for years no weeds growing through

10. deacon

deacon New Member

andy , if cleverman and others prefer this way and it seems that they are professional thens its the only way ,why pick on me

11. ­

­ New Member

I think Andy's got the hots for you

12. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Where did yours and handys personal thread go then?

13. deacon

deacon New Member

I haven't see this thread for a while , maybe someone could put a new one up , maybe marriage, partnership , game of blow football as hes full of wind ,I've left him battered and humiliated ,gave him a lesson , sulked for days you know ,threatened me as well , never mind , treat as tiles

14. ­

­ New Member

He probably tripped over a paving slab and is in hospital

15. deacon

deacon New Member

Thats good and when he's having his plaster cast fitted he,s saying coat with pva and treat as tiles , use a notched trowel rather than a 19/12

16. deacon

deacon New Member

read this yorkshire