Laying solid wood floor onto concrete

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mr_Ke1th, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Mr_Ke1th

Mr_Ke1th New Member

So I need to lay a solid wood floor in my hallway and lounge, what's the best way to stick it down? I'm thinking adhesive underlay? Any opinions on this as its something I've never used....

I'm thinking of starting at hallway threshold so it looks straight when I walk in front door. This means I'd be laying from both ends, would this work with the underlay?

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Engineered flooring or solid planks, engineerd flooring suffers less from expansion movement
    Better to have a floating floor, use a underlay with a built in dpm (moisture membrane),something like 'Sonic Gold' wouldn't glue it down,when you laid the flooring you need to leave a 10mm expansion gap all the way round to allow the timber to expand.
    A lot of engineered flooring can be laid dry, just clips together, but you can also glue it with a pva glue, but if you ever want to lift it, then it's difficult without damage.

I would remove all the skirting, looks neater than using a beading attached to the skirting to hide expansion joint.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. Mr_Ke1th

Mr_Ke1th New Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Mr_Ke1th

Mr_Ke1th New Member

Well that looks like an easier option anyway, and cheaper! Won't the floor bounce though? Do you just glue it together?

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As our older members may remember, Audi-evo a floor laying expert, always recommended Elastilon or SF's version for sticking down floors.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hehe! Half a sleep here,& nowhere near 100% sober, I just spotted my mistake, didn't read his screwfix link correctly, apologies,brilliant stuff Elstilon, screwfix version http://www.screwfix.com/p/self-adhesive-real-wood-underlay/74549

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member