Lead Burning

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MechEng, Jun 12, 2007.

1. MechEng

MechEng New Member

I'm thinking about having a go at lead burning a couple of joints on a tray and apron flashing for my dormer windows.

I'm not starting completely from scratch here, I've done loads of MIG/TIG/Stick welding before, so I've got an idea of how metal behaves when it's molten, how to add the filler rod etc. Hard to describe, but you seem to develop a 'feeling' for how the metal is behaving.

So - how useful/relevant will the above experience be in trying to adapt to lead welding? I'm aware that I'll have to spend some considerable time practicing!

Sounds like getting the right kit with a nice precise flame is essential to avoid melting the entire region around the weld.

The end result would need to be weatherproof and durable, but would not have to be a 'presentation piece' in terms of the aesthetics...

Cheers

2. doitall

doitall New Member

Use the tig welder turned real low

You can use thin lead strips or lead solder as filler rod.

3. MechEng

MechEng New Member

Nice idea Doitall...only slight problem is that the TIG welders I've got access to are at work, and massive...Even if I did have a 3 phase supply at home I doubt they'd let me take them offsite!!
    Management don't like 'Homers' anymore either - H&S and insurance etc.

I might invest in an Oxy Acetyline Kit, been looking for an excuse to buy one of these for a while anyway. There was post one here about Tool Addicts not long ago, and I am well and truly afflicted with this disease!!

4. doitall

doitall New Member

It could be a problem getting it on the roof I suppose

Buy the small hand torch with the nozzels 1-5 and practice with the 3.

Adjust the Acetyline low ish, turn the oxy on and sdjust the flame so both points are even, and approximately a 10mm flame picture.

Melt the filler rod onto the work and apply the heat to form the required pattern.

You loose marks for undercutting ;)

previously you will have cleaned with a shave hook, the edge of the bottom sheet and top and bottom edge of the top sheet.

For vertical welds start at the bottom and run the front edge onto the platform that forms below, bit like stacking coins.

5. MechEng

MechEng New Member

Doitall - Thanks very much for the excellent advice.

When I'm done I will post some photos up so you can have a good laugh!!

6. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Great advice from 'doitall' just as normal.

describe, but you seem to develop a 'feeling' for how the metal is behaving..........the feeling for the metal is the thing as you say. I always found if you practice with a bit of lead, melt a pond in it and get the 'feel' of the metal. Some very good books available also: Plumbing A Practical Guide for Level 2, has a great section on the subject.

Of course, learning at the hands of a journeyman is priceless and loads of practice.

If you find a supplier of model 'o' blowpipes etc, please let us know, cause getting equipment is getting harder and harder.

7. wertyui

wertyui New Member

Dont try lead burning in-situ, you'll set alight to the substrata: felt, wood, batten etc. Make up a template and set out and lead burn on the ground, take the apron etc. up and gently boss into position.
    Dont use solder coil, it will harden. Only use shaved strips of cut sheet lead. Only use code 4 lead and see the lead sheet assn. specs website.
    You can buy cheapo lead burning outfits - pencil thin flame, low pressure.
    Practice and practice and afterwards reverse the work and check the weld from the back.
    If all fails you can always try bossing any lead sheet into any shape.