Lead flashing under upvc window

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Alex83, May 12, 2015.

1. Alex83

Alex83 Member

Recently moved into a new house and where my outside upvc window meets a flat roof on a extension the lead flashing has been glued over the window sill!! The builder should be replacing the flat roof membrane and flashing how ever he says the window doesn't need to be removed to fit the flashing. There is only about 2 inches between the window sill and flat roof. So just wondering if it's possible to replace the flashing correctly with out taking the window out? Thanks in advance

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Photos needed.

3. Alex83

Alex83 Member

Sorry for the poor pictures but didn't fancy going onto the roof at this time of night :)

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could you put some better ones in the morning.

5. Alex83

Alex83 Member

Yea will try but to be honest all you can see is lead flashing glued to the window sill

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It looks like the flashing was glued to the window but why?
    The reason for the better photos is so we can see what is going on, this doesn't seem right.
    Show the flat roof and the surrounds.

7. Alex83

Alex83 Member

Yea will try but to be honest all you can see is lead flashing glued to the window sill

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's the pool of water that has me interested, I can see the hip iron, but the photo too tightly cropped to see what's going on properly.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is this your flat roof?

10. Alex, explain what you mean by 'new house' and what jobs this builder is doing.

As for the window - this window is in the main house and sits just above the extension which has a flat roof? And the 'builder' took the (looks like self-adhesive aluminium?) flashing along the extension roof join and bonded it to the main house's wall - and over the window cill?!

OMG.

There's a 2" gap betwixt the window bottom and the roof? Ok, that ain't much, but it should be possible to introduce a proper lead flashing into the mortar line immediately under that cill, surely? And then sealed.

Is the real problem here that the extension's flat roof is a couple of inches too high?

11. Alex83

Alex83 Member

Thanks for the replys indeed the roof is a mess but I'm not worried about that as its all getting replaced new boards and membrane just concerned about how the flashing will be fixed under the window with out removing it

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The flashing is to protect the roof.

13. Alex83

Alex83 Member

Indeed but if it's not sealed somehow under the sill will surely just leak :)

14. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Hopefully the new flashing will be proper lead and not some sticky rubbish.

This new lead should be dressed into a morter joint of which there will be one under the window.

15. Alex83

Alex83 Member

Right the roofer has been round and put new roofing down but he hadn't even fitted led flashing he has removed all the existing led and replaced it with what looks like felt! I don't know the first thing about roofing but it doesn't seem right. Also he has just stuck the felt over the upvc window sill.

16. Alex83

Alex83 Member

Right the roofer has been round and put new roofing down but he hadn't even fitted led flashing he has removed all the existing led and replaced it with what looks like felt! I don't know the first thing about roofing but it doesn't seem right. Also he has just stuck the felt over the upvc window sill.

17. Alex83

Alex83 Member

Attached Files:

18. Is that felt strip embedded into the wall via a mortar line or similar? Or has he just glued/torched it on to the wall?

19. Alex83

Alex83 Member

It look like it tucked into the wall. Is it normal to substitute lead this way?

20. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Looks like that's just torched on with a silicone (or mastic) seal, looks neater but still a botch job