Lead Pipe Sizes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bobbych, Oct 12, 2006.

1. bobbych

bobbych New Member

Hi
    Can anyone give me infor on how to identify Lead pipe size/wieght. I take it it is outside diameter. but what are the sizes??
    Cheers

2. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse New Member

Are you after Water pipe or Waste pipe sizes. Why would you need to know anyway?

3. chris roast

chris roast Member

stick a piece or 15mm copper into it and solder it round, now that a skill

4. oldplumb

oldplumb New Member

hi, lead pipe is usualy measurd by internal diameter the outside diameter is dependant on the weight per yard.
    ie.1/2"int diam 5lb 53/64", 6lb 7/8" ,7lb 59/64" ,9lb 1-1/64"
    3/4" int diam 6lb 1-3/64",8lb 1-1/8",9lb 1-5/32",11lb 1-15/64", 12lb 1-17/64",15lb 1-23/64" measurments to nearest 1/64" ,information taken from The plumbers hand book on Lead Sheet and Pipe and their uses 1950.
    old plumb

5. Philip Dennis

Philip Dennis New Member

Old lead pipe is measured by internal diameter the outside diameter governs the weight per yard as follows.

measurements to nearest 1/64"

1/2" Internal dia

5lb =53/64" o/dia ( 21.83mm)

6lb= 7/8" o/dia (22.23mm)

7lb= 59/64 o/dia ( 23.42mm)

9lb =1-1/64" o/dia (25.8mm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/4" internal dia

6lb= 1-3/64" o/dia (26.59mm)

8lb =1-1/8" o/dia ( 28.58mm)

9lb= 1-5/32" o/dia (29.37mm)

11lb= 1-15/64" o/dia (31.35mm)

12lb= 1-17/64" o/dia (32.15mm)

15lb =1-23/64" o/dia 34.53mm)

Jitender likes this.
  6. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

9yrs to late mate.;)

7. Philip Dennis

Philip Dennis New Member

I was looking for this info myself 2 hours ago . Thus finding this Forum . Someone might just find it useful ;)

KIAB and Jitender like this.
  8. john4703

john4703 New Member

I've still got the skill to do that, in fact that is reasonably easy. Making a tee in lead pipes and soldering that lot together was more skilled and it would take me ages to make it look good.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sweating in copper into lead, a black art:eek:, learnt it nearly 40 years ago, don't see it done today, frown up on now.
    I wonder whether many plumbers around today could sweat a pipe, most oldies could.:rolleyes:
    I belive it is illegal to solder drinking water pipes ie copper to lead now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    john4703 likes this.
  10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of my neighbours has a lead mains feed to his house below the DPC and it started leaking right where it enters the wall. I offered to replace it with something more modern for free but he didn't want the fuss. I refused to solder it and it took him weeks to find a plumber that would do it.

11. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Copper into lead is easy. Tin the copper pipe with leaded solder. Open out the lead with a bent bolt to form a cup. Tin inside the lead cup. Do not overheat the lead as it will melt. Ram the copper pipe into the lead cup. Heat the copper pipe and the lead pipe and heat grade D solder which will drop into the cup. apply the minimal amount of heat to get the grade D to stick to the lead pipe and copper pipe. Use a wiping cloth to finish off and make neat.

12. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Maybe Walt being as your the expert, you can tell us what the wiping cloth was made of and the two different type of lead to copper joints, rather than a cut and paste from some obscure site.

13. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

You obviously doubt my experience. If you are so clever and such a smartie, you tell us. Tell me and I will tell you if you are right.

Oh and tell us how you do a branch joint on a 3/4" lead gas pipe. :) This will be fun.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  14. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I do doubt your experiance given some of the drivel you have come out with on here and some of the ridiculous questions youve asked in the past, its certainly not as a time served gas engineer or plumber you have the experience.

Thats a not so clever way of saying I dont have a clue but when you tell me the answer I'll pretend to know and say thats right. The two different types are overhand and underhand wipes, now you being the expert can tell us all the difference and why there different you may also want to let us all know what was so special about the cloth that you held in your hand full of molten solder to do these joints.

As for the branch, we didnt ever do them, started my apprenticeship in 72 with the gas board and by then lead fitting were finished as a new install, we did the basics making up lead straps etc (you will know about them wont you?) but most of our time was with black iron and copper.

15. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

The best thing to do with Walter is just ignore his drivel and then he will go away.
    He is an expert wind up merchant and has clearly has never put a boiler up in his life (fortunately for any potential customers). That's because he isn't GSR.
    He is good at cut and paste off the internet though. So best not encourage him and he will take himself off somewhere.
    There Walter, you've been sussed - run along now.......

KIAB and leaky Pete the plumber like this.
  16. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Oh not another nut!

17. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

You are jobbing plumber. Not an engineer. And engineer is not a serviceman who took a gas course given by the Dole, then they make home a Gas a safe person, who know the black art. Hilarious. In 1972 lead was still common of gas meters, so I do not believe you. You are a jobbing plumber who took a gas course given by the Dole. Why would you resort to unprovoked personal attacks? :) :)

You are some some sort of idiot!

18. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Silly boy, there are rolled wiped joints. Ever done one? I doubt it! And those in situe. The cloth is made of mole skin. A tallow candle is used as it does not allow the solder to run freely so you can wipe the joint. I doubt you have ever done one. In a cup joint it does not matter using tallow as long has you keep the heat away. You allow the solder to run into the cloth and wipe it UPWARDS! You have to be fast as the grade D solder will lose the tin as it separates from the lead and you end with a lump of unmanipulative lead.

For someone who says he came via the Gas Board and have NEVER done a gas branch joint? My oh my. Porkies you are telling!

You are intimidated by knowledge and intelligence. You came out with personal attacks NOT ME. I can really make you look a bigger uneducated * if you want.

Edited due to unsuitable language

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

o_O:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:

20. Geoff Question

Geoff Question New Member

Why so rude? It's useless talk.

So in the end, how do the weights work?

And why is it illegal to solder drinking water pipes ie copper to lead now. If it was done before, why not now. And which exact law does it contravene?

I'd probably go for the right diameter, and the highest weight whereby: higher weight = better at stopping leaks?

Thank you.