Lead to plastic waste pipe connector.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Absinthe Minded, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Hello all.

I have a blockage in my bathroom waste pipe (I think).

Please see the attached sketch. I reckon that the blockage is just before the waste goes into the soil pipe so is there any way I could cut out a section of the external waste pipe, get rid of the blockage, and rejoin it?

I have rodded it but the rod seems to get stuck fast just before it goes into the soil pipe outside. For this reason, I have come up with the idea of cutting out a section of the pipe and rejoining it.

The plastic waste is about 41mm OD and the lead is about 43mm OD, but hard to measure so maybe that's 41mm too.

Need to get this done before my autistic son gets home from school as he has a thing for baths and if he can't have one then it will not be pretty. No pressure on me you see ;)

Thank you all.

Nick.

Attached Files:

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Hi what material is the external soil pipe?

3. Hi there, it's metal - I reckon it's steel. Pic attached so you can see the fittings. Thanks :)

Attached Files:

• Soil.jpg
      Soil.jpg
      File size:
      156.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just to confirm, is the toilet flushing ok?

The external pipework is cast iron - nice

Where the lead waste pipe is joining into the 'T' section of cast iron, what is on the other side of the joint?

You have an inspection eye at the branch, have you opened this up to check for any blockages above?

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just to confirm, you say you have a blockage, how do you know this? - is the waste water from the bath or sink taking time to drain, if so, would be easier to check the traps first of all.

At what pint in the system are you roding it?

6. Yes, the toilet flushes fine - I was thinking that the blockage might be in the main soil too, but I don't think so as next door's toilet and bathroom waste go into the same soils and they have not complained of blockages.

So, to answer your question: next door's bathroom waste is on the other side of the joint and their soil pipe is also teeing into the same soil stack.

I have taken the bolts out of the inspection eye but it's stuck solid - maybe I need to give it another go or soak it in something.

For a bit more info, when I run the sink, it backs up into the bath and the bath take forever (like hours and hours) to drain, so I think that the blockage is in the waste pipe. I've got about 6' of rod down it and then it stops and I'd roughly estimate that it is stopping just short of where it tees into the soil stack.

Thank you for helping,
    Nick.

Edit: Sorry, our replies crossed. The trap for the bath is clear - I haven't checked the sink one but this drains freely (although it backs into the bath).

Edit again: I'm rodding from the tee where the sink waste meets the bath waste.

Plumberbish likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is a connector you can buy for joining the lead pipe. Just cut the lead pipe and remove any paintwork then move it so you can slip this connector on, than push back the lead pipe and position it halfway and do up the jubilee clips.

You could try this spray to loosen the inspection trap, or use a cold chisel to work it loose.

Try to take a measurement using the rod as guide to make sure that the blockage is where you think it is, you may cut the lead pipe and find the blockage further upstream.

8. OK, thank you so much for all of your advice - if I could buy you a pint, I would. The flexi connection looks good, so I will go with cutting the lead pipe if I can't shift the blockage. Thanks too for linking to the WD40.

I'll let you know.

All the best,
    Nick.

9. Excellent guidance from Jit.

Ab, you managed to remove the two bolts on the inspection cover? Cool - that's the hard bit done. The cover will be held by paint, most likely, or a thin 'rust' bond, but nothing serious.

So, as said above, use a sharp cold chisel or even a wood chisel you don't mind messing with, or anything like that such as a flat-bladed screwdriver, and work all around the cover's joint with the pipe. Use LOTS of gentle taps with a hammer rather than a few massive wallops - ok, it ain't going to break, but, well, chust to be sure it don't...

Do you think you are up to replacing all that lead pipe at some point? If so, I think you'll find it's fixed into that cast connector using mortar or similar, so that will need lots of gentle chipping away too, and try to avoid any of it falling inside that pipe.

Where were you planning to cut the lead pipe?

I guess the most likely spot for blockage will be after it's come out through the wall - I'm guessing that's a 90o bend in the lead pipe, in which case it'll be narrower there.

Lead pipe is thick-walled, so has a much narrower int dia than plastic pipe.

Anyways, good luck...

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you do ahead and cut the lead pipe, make sure that you debur the inside using a round file, this will ensure that there is no further obstruction.

Also if you manage to get the inspection eye off, clean up the faceedges, it may require a bead of sealant to ensure a watertight seal.

11. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Your very thorough Jit,good on you.;)

12. Stop sucking up to the cove...

13. plumber-boy

:(
    HEY DA!!!! Your the best....:):oops:

14. Stop taking the p***... :)

15. plumber-boy

1423927307223.jpeg
    SORRY...

16. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

my observations,
    that pipe must be 40 years old, I'm assuming that its still connected to the bath in lead ? so that also must be the same age, there's no such a thing as a 90 degree bend on a lead pipe, they were't invented then the lead pipe will have a slow sweep through the wall and will probably have 40 years build up of soap,hair,cig ends, latex moulded baby stoppers and the bath waste will be inch and a quarter,

time for a refurb, :)

Jitender likes this.
  17. OK, thank you for all of that useful information - I will tackle this tomorrow with any luck.
    I'd rather not ;) Who knows how I'd get that out, or do I leave it in the wall and run a new pipe?
    I'll just take a section out of the bit that goes into the soil stack.
    As tom.plum says, the pipe sweeps through the wall rather than bends.
    That's good to know.
    He he, hopefully it will all go well :)

18. OK, thank you for that and I will do so.

19. Think it might be over 40 years old, so yes, could be a lot of old gunk in there. The bath is connected in plastic and so is the sink. Not that easy to see as it's boxed in but the lead starts out of the tee that joins the sink and the bath waste. If you think of the 'T' upside down, the left and top branches are plastic and the right hand branch comes out in lead.

As you say, the lead sweeps through the wall.

Cheers,
    Nick.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  20. And just to update on the whole situation - the rodding seemed to improve things just enough for the bath to drain in an hour or so - good for the sanity of the household as my son still gets to have a bath.

Still, it's getting slower day by day so the plan is to take a day off work tomorrow, armed with the helpful information from all of you lovely people and a saw in my hand, and tackle it.

I will let you know ;)