Leaking and new Lead Flashing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by winterdiy, Nov 23, 2016.

1. winterdiy

winterdiy Member

Hi guys,

After a long wait, my sister had her kitchen build last year and the builder left the roof (where it joins the main house old gable end wall) as you can see in the attached picture. He basically just applied some mortar along the roof tile/wall joint.

Needless to say, when it rained the water seeped straight down the joint, soaking the plasterboard ceiling and the plastered gable wall inside the kitchen. The water also seems to have travelled a good 3 or 4 feet across the middle of the ceiling and leaked down via a drilled hole (for a smoke alarm).

To remedy the condition I applied Self adhesive flashing tape over the mortar (the tape was 12" wide so was able to cover the mortar and go up 6" against the wall). I also applied Thompson water seal to the old gable wall 5 brick courses above the flashing tape. It hasn't worked.

So to do it up properly, am planning on removing the self adhesive tape, remove the mortar and fix real Lead Flashing (yes as I should have at the start). I'm an competent diy-er, but would welcome your advice and pointers please.

Many thanks flashing.jpg

2. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wow!

That will never be waterproof.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ask at the roofing merchants, they may give you details for a lead worker in the area.

5. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

if it's a cavity wall you might need cavity trays ?

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Doubt that

7. winterdiy

winterdiy Member

Hi guys,

The gable wall is NOT a cavity one, but an old (1900) solid brick wall and prior to the kitchen extension caused no trouble.

Thanks 2shortplanks for the link.

As I understand it, once I've removed the adhesive tape and mortar underneath it, I need to use a Code 4 lead and fix it using the step flashing method, embedding the lead 25mm into the brick joints, using clips and sealant.

I don't think I need to lift up the double roman tiles, along the edge, to place anything underneath them. Or do I ?

I want to do it properly and not have to revisit the same problem, so all your help is very much appreciated.

Also had a quick look online and found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CODE-4-LE...hash=item2a3fb1a903:m:mXqomCDEsJz4NxGKBXRTRswhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CODE-4-LE...hash=item2a3fb1a903:m:mXqomCDEsJz4NxGKBXRTRsw

What you think?

Thankyou again.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

9. I would be calling the builder back in.

Whats the guarantee on his workmanship? A leak on a new build isnt acceptable in my mind

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Before fitting a lead flashing, you will needs plastic soakers under them tiles first, otherwise water will easily fine it's way under when running down the roof if you just use a lead flashing .

[​IMG]
    Some great guides here explaining things.

http://www.britishlead.co.uk/basic-fitting-guides

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Dr Bodgit likes this.
  11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The helpfulness of certain people on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Truly some great people here!

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. winterdiy

winterdiy Member

Hi guys.

I thought roof soakers and abutment flashing could only be used with plain tiles and slate.

The kitchen roof is in double roman concrete tiles. Can I still use soakers/abutment flashing??

Thanks

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Reading the Filon brochure, (linky below) they clearly say concrete tiles or slate.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/user/u/files/filon-v-flow-brochure.pdf

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do it like in the video to provide min 150mm overlap over the tiles, dont need soakers. The felt may have been cut longer so just tuck under flashing on wall side.

Did see a roof using large format tiles where they have just done it in smaller sections instead of longer strips, looked quite neat.

Probably called single step overlap.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is taken from the lead sheet association manual:

Says to use code 4 lead, but 5 sometimes used if deeper profiles.

upload_2016-11-24_18-59-9.png

According to this you need lead 12" (300mm) wide. Lengths should be no more than 1.5m to allow for expansion.

Apply patination oil after fitting and before it rains.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  18. winterdiy

winterdiy Member

Thank you KIAB and Jitender, much appreciated.

I did just see this youtube vid showing an abutment soaker being used on roman tiles, so looks possible.

TBH am amazed at how much water seems to penetrate through the joint in-spite of the adhesive tape, and would now rather overdo the job for peace of mind.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May be easier to do it in 'single step cover flashing'.
    as lead is going to be quite heavy at 12" wide. All depends on pitch of roof, but doesn't look greater than 30().

Just cut this out from the manual:

upload_2016-11-24_19-19-1.png

upload_2016-11-24_19-20-2.png

20. kiaora

kiaora Guest