Leaking boiler - can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Absinthe Minded, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Hello all,

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30CDi Combi Boiler that has developed a leak. Looking at the manual, the leak is coming from the flow turbine, I have added a couple of attachments so that you can see what I mean.

Is this something that I can do myself? I am guessing that the flow turbine is measuring mains, rather than the speed of what's in the sealed system, but I'm only guessing! Is this a matter of draining the rads and/or turning off the mains, removing the metal clip on the turbine, and replacing the seal, or should I call the plumber?

As always, thanks in advance,
    Nick.

Attached Files:

2. Can you DIY it? Yes if you are capable.

You don't even have to drain the system - I'm guessing that the 'flow turbine' is a flow switch to tell the boiler to come on to heat your DHW whenever a tap is turned on? In which case all you need to turn off is the mains water inlet to the boiler, and then open a hot tap to release the pressure. (But get ready to catch water that dribbles out...)

If it's part of the CH circuit, then all you have to do is turn off the isolators on the flow and return pipes. But I'm pretty sure it's chust the flow switch, and most modern boilers have nifty 'push' clips to secure these sorts of parts.

Is the leak from the body of this switch or from a pipe connection? It really shouldn't leak at all, and the fact it does would suggest either a 'crack' in the body somewhere or else a damaged rubber O ring at a pipe connection. So I'm guessing you won't be able to fix it without replacement seals or a whole new part.

Not sure what size seals these'll be either...

Absinthe Minded likes this.
  3. Hello, DA - you are to the rescue again for me, I remember bringing joy to you in this thread.

Just to let you know, I am still ecstatic every time I empty the bath ;)

Anyway, thanks you for the information, I feel that I'll be able to do this job myself if it's just the seal, as I suspect. To answer your question, it looks like its coming from where the copper pipe meets the plastic body. I have a few O rings here at work so I'll bring them home just in case and take it apart tonight.

Also, I will take a look online to see if I can order the seals.

Thanks again for your help and I'll keep you posted :)

Nick.

4. OK, well I have found a shop nearby that look like they have the seal in stock so I will go and see them tomorrow.

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Firstly dont drain the entire system when you can isolate and drain the boiler itself. Your manufacturers instructions will tell you in great detail how too do this. As DA says isolate all the supplies then drain the boiler and you can literally take the thing apart. Word of warning though, havean old towel to hand and protect the electrics, even though you think you have drained down totally, being a Worcester you wont have done, there is always residue water left behind.

6. Thank you, Dave - I will have a good read of the manual. Much appreciated :)

P.S. I am currently regarding your avatar with a sort of wry smile...

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Leaking boiler, can I fix it?

Leaking boiler, yes you can.

I'll get my coat! :D

8. I'm guessing only the DHW side of the boiler is concerned here? So shut off the 15mm mains inlet to the boiler, open a hot tap for a second to release the pressure, and fire away.

With lots of towels...

And make sure the 'O' rings are an exact replacement...

Doall likes this.
  9. Hi DA, and Co, many thanks.

Just back from the shop with a Flow Sensor Assembly at £22.00. Think I will only need one of the O rings but at least I have the whole assembly if I need it!

Glorious pic attached for your viewing pleasure ;)

Attached Files:

10. £22?

Replace the whole darned thing, you cheapskate...

11. I am just thinking the less that I do, the less I cock up! Bargain for £22.00 though, eh? ;)

12. You should have bought two - for the one you're def going to c***-up... :p

13. Ha ha, maybe you have a point! Anyways, I got home late last night and was given the "you're not f*cking starting that now, are you?" look - so it's been put on hold until Saturday. Wish me luck.

14. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Yuo'd better not cock it up mate,or I can see your wife wishing you luck as she watches you wander down the drive suitcase in hand.lol

15. The pressure is on, mate! :O

16. Press the pipe ends firmly (without breaking anything...) in to the flow switch before pushing in the securing clips. If it's fiddly to get access (as it was on my GlwoWorm), then it can be tricky to know you are pushing it square and tight enough before the side clip slips in.

The first time I did this (flow switch...) the clip was catching the wrong side of the pipe end's flange. The jet of water coming from the boiler when I turned the water back on was really quite impressive... :oops:

17. OK, DA, I will take your advice as usual. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that there seem to be lots of parts in the assembly kit that I bought; too many, in fact, than I can see in the original assembly.

Is this so that the same kit can be used to service several different boilers, do you think?

18. On second thoughts, I'm wrong... :oops:

If you know for sure that the leak is from, say, that easily accessible end, then chust undo that, clean it and replace with the correct new O ring.

You can always go further if this doesn't work.

Nope, no idea why there's extra fixings, but your thought on this makes sense. That'll explain why I had a couple left over too - and couldn't sleep for a week worrying about it... :oops:

19. That's what I thought and thanks for all your help. Great to have someone to mull things over with if you haven't done a job before and are worried it might end in disaster :O