Leaking boiler - can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Absinthe Minded, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Get some silicone grease to lube the bits in:eek:
    Vaseline will work as a substitute if you ant got none, but dont go for a dry insertion :oops:

Absinthe Minded likes this.
  2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Oooeerrrrr matron !!!!

Absinthe Minded likes this.
  3. Good tip, but for the record; I never go for a dry insertion! :O

4. OK, well I took it apart, had a broken washer (looks like a fibre one), drop out (which there was no replacement for in the pack), put it all back together and it is a sonofabitch to get back in. And it leaked just the same as before.

Taking it all apart again now.

5. OK, so I have taken it all apart and put it back together once again but with no change, it's still leaking. I reckon it must be the omission of the washer, but oddly, when I look at the exploded diagram of the boiler from this site, using my Appliance GC number, I get this image, which doesn't show the washer at all. The washer would be where the red X is.

Wierd.

Attached Files:

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Looks like a standard 1/2' fibre washer, carry them in the van Sorry dosnt help you out but avaliable over the counter at all plumbers merchants. Doubt the sheds will stock them.

7. AM, looking at your photo of the new part in #10, it's pretty obvious (he says...) that either WB have changed the 'seal' type on more recent models or else the fibre washer that fell out was put there as a bodge by someone.

My guess is that the fibre washer was put there by a complete cretin who either took the flow switch apart to sort a problem, or else removed the FS to sort a leak there. In the process he/she either lost or damaged or found a damaged O ring and thought "I can fix this with parts from my spares box - look, this fibre washer fits!!"

I'd suggest that the most likely scenario is that one of the O rings supplied with your new part (which you should fit complete since you've gorn this far...*) will fit here and will do the job as designed.

The fibre washer was a red herring. To my knowledge, you will only get a fibre washer making a seal when the fitting involved can be screwed down tight with a nut, and not with a 'push-in-and-clip' type connection like wot this is.

So, chances are you do have the parts needed to sort this. Away ye go, man, and tak it apar' agin... :)

(Man, it's soooo easy to sort these things from this side of the screen.)

(* Yes, this does mean I've now changed my mind twice. So what...:oops: :rolleyes:)

8. Well, as it turned out, I did replace the whole thing. It was when I removed the flow sensor O ring that the washery type thing fell out, in more than one piece.

We've had the boiler since new, and it has only ever been worked on by the bloke that fitted it and (to my knowledge) there has never been any reason for him to touch the flow sensor.

So, the new flow switch has been replaced, together with the new O rings and the new clip ...and I still have a leak.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Are you sure it's from the flow turbine/switch, & not from HW heatchanger & the water is finding it's water to the flow switch?

10. Do you mean is it running along the outside of some other pipes before dripping off the end of the flow sensor?

Thanks,
    Nick.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.:)

The flow switch has been replaced, together with the new O rings and the new clip ... & I still have a leak, (unless you made an error fitting:eek:) then I start looking elswhere HW heatexchanger top of my list.
    Water can take some very strange routes to get from point A to point B.

12. OK, many thanks - I did have a look to see if that was the case, but let me have a really good look when I get home later. I'll let you know!

Doall likes this.
  13. Well, I have had a good look and I can't see it leaking anywhere else. My only guess is that it has a bit of debris somewhere along the seal and this is causing the leak. I'm going to take it apart again and give it a really good clean/looking at and try again.

14. What a pain, AM :(

Since you've replaced the whole unit, the fault cannot really be in the plastic body itself, or in the O rings. So that leaves the copper (?) pipe that goes in to the end, I guess?

That's be the item to check for damage. If some person has had this apart before and has fitted a fibre washer where there shouldn't be one, then also good chance they've scored the pipe end perhaps by using pliers to remove the old seal?

What's the new leak like - exactly the same rate as the old?

That flow switch assembly - it sits 'inside' a larger plastic component, doesn't it? And does this drip come out from this larger part? If so, I guess that makes things even more tricky as you won't necessarily be able to see where the water is originating from? :(

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

New boiler.:)

A excellent Valliant one...:)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. Hello all,

I'm back - I know you've been missing me ;)

OK...
    Yes, a pain it is; but you and I are thinking along the same lines. I reckon that the leak is flowing along the inside of the larger tube (that houses the flow sensor), from further downstream.

What I want to do now id get out assembly 34 in the exploded diagram, with a view to replacing O ring 38, but I don't know how it comes out. I'm guessing you pull that tab thing at the top but I don't want to break anything...

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Valliant easy servicing, & easier to repair than a Bosch;), not that that Valliant go wrong that often,never has one break down in 20 plus years of have various models.
    My 824 has just had a new HW heat exchanger, it's first since new, in 8 years of use & a new pump,engineer dropped old one removing it.:eek:

19. (Pssst - don't mention Intergas. Even fewer parts to go wrong... :))

KIAB likes this.