Leaking butler sink

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Katieal, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Katieal

Katieal New Member

My butler sink is leaking under the waste you can see in pic the drip top right, it's in utility so not main sink and I only just discovered it leaking

What's best action? Put some silicone? Plumbers mait?

Would it be worth re sealing the plug waste inside the sink or is it the washer leaking?

It was a used sink and waste wasn't removed when fitted as I am not sure it will come out?!

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

The waste needs removing from sink and resealing, up to you what you use (silicon or plumbers mait) not a big job.;)

3. Katieal

Katieal New Member

Is the waste hard to remove tho? Looks all dried up In there! How do I loosen the silicone? Is there a trick?

Thanks for replying!

4. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Not really,just a bit of force and once you get movement it should come out fairly easy.Good luck.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Or you could fit on of these.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Basin-Mat...Seal-Set-/251124822759?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Find yourself a large spanner or a wrench. First undo the plastic waste. Then undo the nut (looks like a metal nut from here) in an anti-clockwise direction, you may find that the drainer part in the sink start moving as well, if it does put a screwdiver in the holes to stop it spinning around. Clean out alltthe putty or silicone residue. The waste is 'slotted' in that it has slots cut out - this is where the surpless water enters if the sink overflows. It would be a good idea to align this in the same direction as the overflow waste.

upload_2014-7-5_23-9-59.jpeg