Leaking Conservatory Gutter

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Beamed, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Beamed

Beamed New Member

Hello,

This is my first post here and I have looked at previous post before posting.
    So I have a boxed style plastic gutter fitted in my conservatory and they continue to leak in the inside of our conservatory. The gutter fitting looks like it sits inside the building as per images and mainly leaks in the corner especially after a rainfall.

We have spoken to some people in the building trade and they think it could be aqual pooling and that they can bed / apply some solution but we have to wait until it is dry weather and forecast to be dry for several days.
    Please can anyone give me support in getting a fix, will foam filler work and if so what type or the solution the builder want to apply is there a name for it? Cost effective and quick fix is my goal.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. All I can say is, foam filler won't work. It ain't wot it's designed for.

There are some cracking products out there that will almost certainly work, but you'll need to trace the actual leak first.

A photo of that gutter/gulley from the outside would help.

Can you tell where - exactly - the water comes in? Does it 'travel' before coming in? Or does it come in where it likely gets through from the outside?

That second picture shows what looks like 'boxing in' - is the gullet behind this? Can that boxing be removed fairly easily?

Really, if you don't identify where the leak 'gap' is, then you'll simply be coating external surfaces and hoping for the best.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

BMC2000 likes this.
  4. Beamed

Beamed New Member

Hi

with ref to Kiab - we have tried to use sealant which made the leak move along the gutter and find a new place to leak!
    How do we check if the gutter has dropped or warping? Also the company that sell Evercryl only sell in pallets ?

Devils advocate - as far as I can tell the rain is traveling before it leaks and the leak moved along the gutter it is leaking inside our conservatory. Ps what is a gullet and I'm unsure if the box gutter is easily removable

I need more specific tips as an bit clueless

More pictures to follow

Thanks for quick responses

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sounds suspiciously like the rainwater somewhere isn't actually falling into the gutter, but straight into the box.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Beamed

Beamed New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Some further images taken from above

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could be rubber sealsfailed, if it made from seperarate lengths.

Beamed likes this.
  9. Mr. Handyandy

I'd check where the water is falling from the flat roof and/or the coping stones wall.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Beamed

Beamed New Member

image.jpg Hey please can you see if the lining looks like its separating.

Sorry guys getting quite technical here but will I need to removing the roof to fix issue or what can I do? It mainly leaks in this section internally.

I came across this article is this type of work really required!

http://toucanroofing.co.uk/box-gutter/

11. Beamed

Beamed New Member

It potentially does hit the wall and then fall into gutter , what can we do?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Clean out the gutter, & paint inside with Evercryl, should seal any leak.

13. Beamed

Beamed New Member

What would I do if th leak is coming via the coping wall / lining not sure the gutter itself is the issue here

14. Beamed

Beamed New Member

15. Mr. Handyandy

Can't quite tell the space/distance between the underneath of the coping and the guttering, but possibly self-adhesive lead flashing stuck to the wall and laid into gutter, or some form of drip tray clipped from the gutter to under the coping.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Does the water ingress only happen with substantial rain ?

17. Beamed

Beamed New Member

It leaks when it rains regardless of how much rain

18. Beamed

Beamed New Member

Seems as though it's progressively getting worse especially with the recent rain fall.