leaking conservatory roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nicktheredbaron, May 11, 2009.

1. nicktheredbaron

nicktheredbaron New Member

can anybody help,during a heavy down poor my conservatory roof leaks at the apex where it is joined to the house ,i have checked the lead flashing it seems ok and is well sealed could the rain be getting in further along and running towards the house ,thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have they put thr lead flashing under or over the roofing felt?

3. nicktheredbaron

the flashing is over the conservatory section

4. lightning bolt

lightning bolt New Member

driven rain will get into a lot of places

5. nicktheredbaron

is it worth sealing each individial roof panel

6. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

I would get the hosepipe out and aim it at various sections of the roof.

If you get no results then try turning the hosepipe on and repeat as above ;)

Seriously, this is a good way to identify the problem, as it gives you an idea as to whether falling or driving rain could be causing the problem.

The lead flashing may cover the roof looking from above, but may not provide adequate protection against driving rain. Hitting it with a spray at different directions may uncover the problem.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Although the lead is there, the conservatory should have a big ugly silicon seal against the wall. All the way up and all the way down, and over the top. Has it ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. JAXX77

JAXX77 New Member

Water could get on at the apex anywhere along the apex line but not necessarily leak in that position.
    The hose pipe test is the best option. Do not put silicone on the ridge

9. nicktheredbaron

thanks for the advice ill try the hose pipe test thanks again

10. mike pcs

mike pcs New Member

if you are in lincs, give me a shout. Father owns conservatory/door/window etc business

11. Ickle-po

Ickle-po New Member

Check to see how the finial is fixed.(thats the spikey bit along the top) It should b stuck, usually siliconed, but I have seen them screwed, this means water can get into the apex and could b cuase of leak