Leaking conservatory roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by azizrasul, Jan 20, 2017.

1. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

i have polycarbonate sheets on my leaking conservatory.
    Looking for a temporary fix for a few months. Any suggestions? I was thinking of putting some strong tape where the polycarbonate sheets meet the aluminium bars but don't know which tape would be good.

2. Do you know where the water is actually getting in? (Could be quite different to where it ends up inside...)

Anyhoo, a good quality 'duct' tape should do for a temp fix.

Our hosts have a large variety. I guess the 'Gorilla Glue Cloth' tape might be the best, but I don't know?

In any case, I suspect any tape will leave a nasty glue residue which will be a sod to remove in a few months time.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Flashband.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. ...for a more permanent solution.

(But will be even harder to remove if needed :) )

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If your going on the roof the bodge some tape on, you might as well remove, clean, replace the roofing sheets, all round a better fix.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pointless bodging it, If it's twin wall sheeting, then use a proper glazing bar to joins sheets, if it leaking against wall then a side flashing along with proper flashing to make it waterproof.

7. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

The leak is mostly where the black seals meet the aluminium bars. In some places the black seals are not fully covering the polycarbonate sheets. Don't know whether they have just shrunk.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Photo's.:)

Polycarbonate sheets don't shrink, they contract or expand depending weather temperature.

9. I think he means the seals may have shrunk.

Are there also seals on the inside, or just fibre thingies?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seals don't usually shrink, leaking happens when sheets move.

11. Bludy know-it-all...

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:p:p

[​IMG]

Joe95 likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

KIAB is spot on, my conservatory roof leaked due to expansion and contraction movement and leaked due to the To55er who installed it didn't secure the panels at the open end so they crept forward leaving a gap at the top framed end. One pushed back into place and secured no further problems.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If it's timber frame, sometimes peeps will use a fixing at top centre of a sheet to prevent the sheet slipping, the fixing hole is usually 3mm oversize to allow expansion movement of the sheet, this fixing is then hidden by the flashing.

15. Yeah - rub it in, why don't you...

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Bit of a contradiction there KIAB.

They don't shrink, they contract?

Anyway, they should be fitted so that they are cut to a size that even when they have maximum shrinkage, they are still under the seals. May be possible to 'pat' them sideways to get them under the seal on the side that it is missing.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Should read ONCE not ONE