Leaking garden tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by nuffinsevereasy, Sep 17, 2012.

1. nuffinsevereasy

nuffinsevereasy New Member

Is it possible to repack the gland sealant on a leaking brass garden tap? It only leaks when it's "on", water comes out where the shaft enters the body of the tap. It seems a waste to simply replace the tap because it?s leaking.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Undo the gland nut , get a length of string and rub it up and down a candle so it gets waxed, wrap the string around the spindle six times, force the string down into the gland area and tighten up the gland nut to suit

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

..and then do it again a few months later! :)

'bout tme someone made a decent quality outside tap!

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Stick some new o-rings in there.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. nuffinsevereasy

nuffinsevereasy New Member

Thank you guy's, tap fixed.
    I actually used ?Barbour nylon lacing twine? as its pre waxed (and I had a reel of it in my garage).
    I found I needed a very light smear of Vaseline on the tap shaft to prevent the lacing twine from sticking. Then it slid down and compacted nicely. It?s totally water tight now.
    To Captain Leaky?s point, I?ll see how long it lasts.

6. DaveA

DaveA New Member

All hail the genius that is nuffinsevereasy . A long time leaking tap is fixed! Thank you. However – two points of caution for idiots:

Firstly, if the tap is stiff after this fix don't blame the string/wax, rather reconsider the sage advice of nuffinsevereasy; tighten up the gland nut "to suit”.

Secondly, don't use the scissors that you cut the string with to push the string into the spindle shaft – you may cut your thumb. If you are really stupid you may cut both thumbs.

Thanks again nuffinsevereasy. I'm off to get a couple of plasters.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.