Leaking mixer tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Carphead, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Carphead

Carphead New Member

Bathroom mixer is dripping non stop. I have taken the valves out and the seals look ok. Butterfly parts look ok can't see any sign of wear. Could they be lifting slightly under pressure of water. ? Any ideas please.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Easiest fix put a new one in, you could spend half a lifetime trying to change O rings seals washers etc, far easier to replace it.

3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Agreed, not worth messing around with.

4. Carphead

Carphead New Member

5. Carphead

Carphead New Member

Thanks guys. Thought as much. Funny enough stopped dripping now !! Not for long though I suspect. Thanks for getting back to me. Best regards.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Easier, yes. Cheaper(for a diyer)?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Carphead

Carphead New Member

Ok. Checked under bath panel. Considering changing whole tap set but wanted to run something past you. I have taken the cold side ceramic insert out and can see a chip in the ceramic just where it seals. So I think that's werethewater is passing. Then went down to local plumb supplies and got a tap conversion kit. Thought I had cracked it. Went to screw the 3/4 bsp adaptor into the tap body and found its too small. Not an expert but wndering if they do a 1 inch bsp conversion or how difficult is it to change ceramic discs. Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks.

8. I think there are only a relative few different-ish ceramic disc cartridges out there, but I always find the one I'm after is the one they don't have...

Can you leave your water offski long enough to take the offending cartridge to the shop? Or, remove your cartridge, take a side-on photo and some measurements, and look on ebay. You'll find sellers there who'll provide all the details you need to ensure it's the right one.

(I suspect, even if you could find a reducing sleeve, the cartridge might not seat properly at the bottom of the tap's housing. You might get away with it, but personally I wouldn't want to start bodging. Just sell your current 'wrong' cartridge on ebay as 'new but unwrapped' unless you can return them...)