Leaking new toilet doughnut - what have I done wrong?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by diymostthings, May 2, 2016.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Thanks for that DA - well I'm glad I'm doing something right!. Re the orientation of the plate-there are actually depressions in the porcelain casting to accomodate raised portion of the plate - meaning that the plate could in theory be fitted both ways round. either way round it still "bottoms out" with the wing nuts fully tightened. I think I do need a bigger doughnut. Will reserve the inverted doughnut idea until I'm desperate. (Using bucket of water as the flush mechanism at the moment - Ooops - must dash - on latrine duty...

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The depression to the porcelian is to accomodated the head of the bolts usually.

3. diymostthings

Arrrrghh - now he tells me!! It IS an Ideal Standard bowl so obviously the "bog standard" (exculse pun) doughnuts will not seal properly. Will now use your link to source the correct one. Thank you so much!

diymostthings

4. Ah! A recess? In that case ignore what I said and fit it the other way around... :oops:

The plate should then be further away from the pan and allow a bit more squishing room for the doughnut.

D'oh!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Youu using new plate or old one, are they identical?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

50/50 I say, if you had told us what make of toilet you had, it would have saved a page of replies.:p, if a standard doughtnut didn't fit, then it had to be a IS bog.:)

Should be ableto get IS washer at a plumber's merchant.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  7. diymostthings

No its not from any other source - cistern stays full overnight with no sign of a leak - only when flushed. thanks for the thought though.

8. diymostthings

The old one was so rusty and decomposed I couldn't check this. the old doughnut was similarly covered in rust deposits and in bad shape so hard to tell. I'll measure the hole size later (away from home until this evening).

9. diymostthings

Yes I realise that now - but at the time of the OP I thought these were all a standard size.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a nightmare with some older CC toilets,with the various shapes, widths & internal hole dimension, & houses here with european toilets again different seals & doughtnuts.

11. diymostthings

Well the main section of the plate still fits hard against the base of the cisitern no matter which way round it is. With the raised portions of the plate in the recess it does give a little more squdging power... (But i need to research a bigger size doughnut)

12. diymostthings

All sorted now thanks one and all. It was the wrong size doughnut. I got a larger one from local plumbers merchants and all is well. So much for British Standards.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

YOu deserve one :)

[​IMG]

KIAB likes this.
  14. diymostthings

I wish!....

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You did use a rubber doughnut didn't you and not the sugary fried dough version :p

16. diymostthings

"There was a young plumber from Herts,
    who could not get the right plumbing parts.
    Try as he might,
    With the nuts done up tight,
    It leaked like a sieve all night".

17. Andy Dearden

Andy Dearden New Member

I went through 4 doughnuts - the original fitting, the second attempt by a different plumber, my first DIY job. Each time the seal was OK at first, but started to leak after a few months. Eventually I realised that the cistern was not sufficiently rigidly fixed to the plasterboard wall. So every time I sat down, there was a bit of play working away at breaking the seal.
    When I replaced the screws & plastic plug with metal expanding brackets (and a new doughnut) the problem was fixed (or at least I've been fine for at least 2 years now!)

18. Andy Dearden

Andy Dearden New Member

Is the cistern very firmly fixed in place? Is there any play between the cistern & the pan when you sit down?

19. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Andy, you have fallen in to the trap of replying to a thread from 2016