Leaking rad valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tore81, Jul 17, 2016.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

So I have gone to put rad back on push water into the system and it leaks around the top I believe it's called the packing gland.

I have heard you can ptfe then repack but can you do this without a drain down is this on all valves. I'm cautious water could come out of here. As that part is still live, As I know all parts are different I just want to check.

Any advice would be great

2. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Have you tried nipping up the gland nut? If this doesn't work, yes you can repack the gland with PTFE tape (or I prefer the PTFE string in this situation). It is "live" as you say but even completely unscrewing the gland nut should not produce a flood - Turn the valve off, turn the CH pump off to reduce pressure and put a tray underneath (I use old paint trays for this - they are quite shallow but hold quite a bit of water). Wind the tape/string around the spindle and retighten gland nut.

diymostthings

tore81 likes this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

it only leaks when the rad is connected and I turn it on.

Maybe when I turn it on I'm moving the gland as well. As I wasn't sure about it But thank you I wil try again.