Leaking shower valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by unphased, Oct 28, 2014.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi

I have one of these (see pic). The left hand valve serves the shower spray head and the head is leaking.

What do I need to replace to stop the shower head from leaking and how do I get in to the valve?

Its from bathstore.com and is around 8 years old. It is possible that the mixer valve is passing and the shower head is the easiest path for water to leak. Problem is I cannot find the model any longer, probably long discontinued. Internet searches suggest Crosswater make a lot of bathstore stuff?

:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Un, When you say nozzle, do you mean the spray head?

B J

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes B J, I mean the spray head. What happens is, the spray head leaks water from the base where it screws on to the shower hose when turned off, so water must either be bypassing the lock valve or the mixer valve. Reason I said nozzle its the one that looks like a microphone, like a kinked tube. :)

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

May be a daft question but is the washer in it? If not there you go :)

5. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I was thinking the same, but that seems to simple?

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes the washer in the shower spray head in the joint to the hose is present, just not a very good fit. The point is, no water should be present in the shower hose to drip out when the shower valves are all off. Something is passing and it is coming out of the shower head base. If the joint was good it would eventually find its way out of the shower head itself.

7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I assume you are sure it's not just the head of water sitting in the hose that's coming out?

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Way to prove if its letting by is to remove the shower hose and head and watch the outlet for a period of time anything coming out its letting by, you could even tape a plastic bag over it and leave it for an hour or so. Ifit is letting by your best course of action would be the manufacturers, it may still have some warranty on it or they may offer a repair service.

9. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Un, as you say it shouldn't be there anyway, clearly your valve washer or ceramic disc is letting water pass, your other question was how to get to the valve, normally simple enough, does the handle not pull off, may have a small grub screw holding it on, then that will allow access to the valve? all that said this shouldn't be a major job...I think...

I've just sent an e-mail to Bath Store technical, see what they say....

B J

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Thank you B J and Dave. It is definitely a passing valve because the shower tray is wet with water splashing from the shower hose when it runs down the outside. I must be losing a a fair amount of water at the mo.

11. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Un,
    Bathstore gave me the details to Crosswater and they have given these details, hopefully will sort it for you. They've sent me a pdf of the shower but I cant see how to attach on this site? How do I attach the file?

'This valve has ceramic disc cartridges inside, which are responsible for turning the water supply on and off. There might be some debris or limescale within one of the cartridges, which is preventing the ceramic discs inside the cartridge from closing off properly.

This type of issue can usually be resolved by soaking the cartridge in a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar for an hour.

If the cartridge requires replacing, it is part code X2A035N-H and is priced at #11.99 incl VAT and carriage. Parts can be ordered through Crosswater on 01322 422 767.

You'll need to remove the chrome work from whichever handle controls the shower function which is dripping. So if the overhead shower is dripping, then remove the chromework from that handle.

You'll need a 2mm allen key to loosen the grub screw inside the end handle, then there is a crosshead screw in the centre of the chrome control behind the handle (part 25 on the attached exploded view, for example).

The cartridge will then be accessible, you'll need to place a spanner on the hexagonal shape at the base of the cartridge spindle, then unscrew it from the valve. Please ensure that the water supply has been turned off before doing this

unphased likes this.
  12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Fabulous B J. :) Appreciate your help on this. I'll take a look now and let you know what I find. :)

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

About attaching a file. Use the 'upload a file' link which appears bottom right of the window when you click reply.

Edit: Ok. I took the cartridge out and tbqh I couldn't see any debris so I just assume its worn. I have contacted Crosswater and unfortunately they are out of stock of that part. Need to call them again next week. For the price its not worth messing around I'll just get a new one.

14. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I thought that, spares seem to be a fair price, compared to a new unit.
    Good luck with it

B J

Attached Files: