Leaking tap tail? Solutions?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ejt2109, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Ejt2109

Ejt2109 New Member

I installed a new tap, and checked for leaks around all connectors, it was all dry for a few weeks, so I assumed all was well.

I have just realised the bottom of our cupboard was wet and there is a leak, but it is where the flexible hose connects into the nut (which is then connected to the copper piping)

Is is a faulty tap tail? I've upload a picture and the pen is pointing at the place the water is leaking from, I don't want to try to tighten the flexible hose into it as I've read you're not supposed to do this. Can I buy tape to seal it or do I need to start again and re-fit it/take tap tail back?

Many thanks in advance!
    image.jpeg

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

That union you have fitted between the service valve and the flexi are both ends flat?
    If not you have almost certaily damaged the washer inside the flexi which is causing the leak

Ejt2109 likes this.
  3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

concure with dave. needs to be 1/2 inch male iron with "flats" on. if its for an olive itll chew up the sealing washer.

Ejt2109 likes this.
  4. Ejt2109

Ejt2109 New Member

Thank you, I am 100% amateur, so don't understand all the terminology! The union (which I didn't know it was called!) is made of two parts, the bottom part wouldn't move when we took the old tap tails off, and my old tap tails were 3/4inch, the new are 1/2. I was told to buy a male x male 1/2 to 3/4 inch nipple to make it fit, which I did and that's the top part that the new tap tail is connected to. Is it this nipple part that has damaged the washer? If so what do I need to ask the plumb centre for (apart from a plumber!)

Thanks

Emily

5. The chrome nut on the end of the flexi - have you tried tightening that a further 1/8th turn on to the brass connector?

Good chance that's all it'll take.

If that fails, then turn off that isolating valve - a quarter-turn - open the tap to release any stored pressure, and then undo that chrome nut fully. You'll need two 'spanners' - one for the brass fitting and one for the chrome nut.

Once undone, you'll see if there's an issue with the rubber washer in there. If you are not sure, please post close-up photos of the end of the brass fitting and the rubber washer.

6. Ejt2109

Ejt2109 New Member

Thank you DA, I unscrewed it this morning and the pics are below. I can not get the union off. I only managed to get the chrome nut off by holding the chrome nut beneath the union.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. Good photos!

As said above, that brass fitting isn't ideal for this purpose. See the end of the fitting - its sharp 'taper' edge? That sharp edge has to seal against the rubber washer without damaging it - without cutting in to it.

Ok, the rubber washer looks ok - not damaged - but also shows a deep trough where the brass fitting pressed in. First thing to check is that there's no 'grit' on that rubber washer, and no damage to the end rim of the brass fitting - both could allow a slow drip of water past.

If both are ok (give that rubber washer a good wipe) then a smear of joint sealant might do the trick. Ok, 'joint sealant' isn't really meant for rubber washers (something like silicone grease would be better) but I suspect it'll sort your problem.

If sealant on that sealing surface doesn't sort it, then perhaps it's a problem with the actual flexi pipe - perhaps it's leaking internally?

The 'proper' solution is to replace that brass fitting with one which has a 'flatter' end so's the rubber washer presses 'flat' against it. And then a smear of sili grease.

It's your call, but I think what I would do is simply 'bodge' it slightly and clean up both surfacers and add a smear of Fernox Hawk White jointing compound. I don't think it damages rubber?

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As above, you can see the deep groove cut into the washer and most likely, causing the leak

Either remove the brass union and replace the tap flexis with compression tails, those ones are knackered now anyway;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-...ck/4565g#product_additional_details_container

Remove the chrome nut from the tails and screw directly onto the existing tap connector (check if your tails are M10/12 connection to tap)

Or....bit more work;

Change the tap connectors for regular isolation valves;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/15mm-isolating-valve-pack-of-2/65251

Connect one end to water supply, connect these to other end - not sold by Screwfix unfortunately;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Flexible+Connectors/sd2807/Tap+Tail+Adaptors/p14081

Again new flexis, same type as you have now with tap connector end. Screw onto above, nice flat end to make a good seal against washer and with no damage - job done

9. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

If you file the unions sharp edge and make it flat it should make water tight (perhaps with a dab of paste).

10. Tim M

Tim M New Member

11C7A874-E573-41C0-9A11-EED35CAEBD05.jpeg 97590E79-F2A5-4C19-AB1E-3F8BA8C0F537.jpeg This is the solution !!, stops the rubber washer being cut

11. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Are you on commission?

Matthew Gray and WillyEckerslike like this.
  12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's taken so long to fix some of these leaks that the OPs have drowned...

13. Tim M

Tim M New Member

I just thought they were a good idea, wish someone had come up with them yrs ago, saves messing around having to fit an adapter on the service valve

WillyEckerslike likes this.