Leaking water pipe- likely mains

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by fostyrob, Jun 6, 2016.

1. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Hi all! Was hoping to get some advice re a leaking water pipe.

Recently moved into a house who's previous occupants seemed fond of concrete! They had a small retaining wall (40cm ish high) with a raised grassed area. The wall was concrete and had been pushed out by a now cut down tree. Surrounding the wall is more concrete right up to the house.

Since we moved in there has always been a trickle of water coming through the cracked wall- presumed this just to be water coming down from the higher up garden (this is the lowermost point before the house).

Decided to remove the stump, break up and remove the wall as well as the underneath hardcore in an attempt to rebuild a sleeper wall with the lowermost sleeper partly set below the edge of the surrounding concrete (cut straight).

Asked the previous owners about the presence of pipes under this area and he said no.

Anyway whilst digging down at one end of the old wall where the leak was the soil is pretty much just slop. Kept going down and have come to a jet of water that constantly refills the hole about 40-50cm beneath the concrete. you can stick your finger in and occlude the jet. Am pretty sure it is a water pipe and the pressure suggests it is the mains. Definitely not a waste pipe and not the sewer!

This area is on the opposite side of the house (1900's) to where our water comes in and the street stop cock is, lying between our house and the neighbours. can't see an obvious stop cock on the street for next door. Can't quite get a bearing on the orientation of the pipe as the hole is filled with muddy water and have yet to attempt to turn water off at the street. We have not noticed dirty water or obvious drop in pressure although the pressure will have been down since we moved.

My real question is as I do not know what this pipe is what should I do? Do I turn water off at the street and potentially take out the water to several houses in order to better assess the pipe and see if it is a feeding branch from our setup going to next door? If it is not our pipe who and it is supplying next door would they be responsible? Finally given that I have removed a large area of soil and surrounding stone could they not just say I have burst this pipe even though it is surrounded by roots and has been leaking for months?

Thanks in advance!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's in your garden, so it's your pipe.
    You'll need turn off the water in street to fix it, that's if it's on that stop cock.

Pipe could be lead, 7lb or 11lb, so more fun & games.:)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's your responsibility,as it's in your garden.

4. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

It is an old house so suspect that I will be dealing with dreaded lead.

As I say I have yet to turn off the water at the street but I suspect that it is a feed from our supply to the neighbours!

Its a pity I can't just ram it full of plumbers mate as it is block-able with your finger and tip a load of concrete over the top!

Are you allowed to fix these issues your self or is that frowned upon by the water board?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Lead is frowned upon nowaday, but you don't know where it starts or go, or the overall length of pipe, so just repair it.

But, you might find once you start moving the lead pipe, you'll get leaks else where, had one at last place, repiared one, then another leak appeared, end up replacing nearly 20mtrs of lead pipe.:(

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Your water company may offer a free lead replacement pipe service. Though this can take 8 weeks. Did mine last year. You will need to your own work.

Need to establish whether you have a workable stop tap before doing anything, sometimes they can seize up and may not shut the water off.

If this works then you will be able to make sure that the leak is from the mains pipe.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good point Jit, I always forget the free lead replacement pipe service some water companies offer, worth getting it done, most likely would see a boost in your mains pressure as a result.

Also some water companies will try & force you to have a water meter, you don't have to have one.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Have your water bills been higher than normal? I had one for £4k last year..... and the house was unoccupied! If they have been higher than usual you can get a one-off leak allowance from your water co.

I paid someone £500 to replace it (approx. 20m of lead pipe) with blue poly. Your water co will normally contribute £100 towards the cost.

9. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

We are not metered. Water is included in council tax. We live in Scotland so I don't think even the water companies have the cheek to ask us to pay for the stuff!

10. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Out of interest how many turns "should" it take to turn the stop cock off at yue Street?

I was at 40 when I stopped, well beyond what I already thought was ridiculous. At 40 although still freely turning, the water in the house and the pipe was off. As an experiment I only turned it back on with 30 turns and the flow seems the same as before.

11. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Wow a lead pipe.
    I still have some plumbers wiping cloths I saved for the rainy day.
    And a couple of the old lengths of the inch wide plumbers solder.
    Just right for that job.
    Is it not just like a half turn stop cock.
    I just cant remember...Getting old.

Johnny M

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

It's the water boards stop cock in the street.

We do not appear to have a stop cock at the rising mains in the house. There are isolating valves to the upstairs and downstairs. Neither of which turn off the leaking pipe in the garden which I cannot figure where it goes or what it is connected to. It does go off with the dodgy Street stop cock so must be a branch of our supply.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had stop water tap replaced by water board as it wasn't shutting off the supply.

Team came out and after trying couldn't shut the tap off either. A new stop tap was arrange to be fitted a few weeks later. The old tap was located on the road, they left this one connected and ran another on from it then put a new tap on the pavement.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Recommend you get a stop cock fitted to your raising mains in the house.

16. Hi Rob.

At 40 turns it was still turning freely? But the house water did turn off? And - phew - back on again?

Blimey.

Anyhoo, you don't have a stopcock inside yer hoosie? tsk tsk. Do you know where the mains water comes in? If so, you really should do as KIAB says and fit an internal stopcock and make it a full-bore lever valve.

You didn't mention if the garden water stopped when you turned off the street stopcock. Did it?

What's your mains pressure like? When you place a finger over your cold kitchen tap, can you stop the flow fairly easily? I ask 'cos you mentioned that the garden one was easy to stop with a finger.

Did you place your finger over the actual split/hole in the garden pipe? If so, surely you can tell what sort of pipe it is? Size and material?

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stop cock in road could be faulty, & freewheeling a bit, then catching for a few turns. before turning without effect again.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. It certainly doesn't sound happy.

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Not quite true ... My supply starts in the street with a Water Board stop tap, from there it goes directly into my neighbours garden and runs through there for around 40m until it crosses the boudary to my property for te lats 5 to 10 metres. I have been informed that it is my responsibility all of the way from my house to the stop cock - unless my neighbour damages it.

20. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Had the water board- we have a really old street stop cock. Some brass device that free turns to infinity. Each half turn turns on and subsequently off again so just randomly i turned it off and then on again with my turning. Its certainly very different to all stop cocks I have previously seen!

I am not entirely sure where the water comes into the house as it has been subdivided and then split again. We have a mains pipe coming into the front of the house through the floor then up inside the wall of the downstairs toilet up to the first floor where there is a stop cock in the upstairs bathroom to shut off water to the upstairs. At the back of the house in the kitchen there is a lead pipe that comes out of the concrete floor and then a stopcock which isolates downstairs.

I can only assume that at some point our mains supply splits and goes to the opposite side of the house and it is this pipe that has the leak. I am unsure of the exact route it takes from the street to the house or which side it goes to first.

Water pressure in the house is fine.

Difficult to occlude the water from the cold tap with your finger.

Not had much chance to look at the leaking pipe as it is under water and mud and is ******* it down here at the moment. It feels like probably a 22mm or there about pipe. Looks like lead (lead pipes certainly come into both sides of the house). The hole is probably 2-3mm on the top surface.