leaving a quirk when fitting architraves

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jgm, Jun 28, 2017.

1. jgm

jgm New Member

Just some advice needed if thats ok, we have just had some new architrave fitted by our joiner who fitted them right up to the edge of the door frame which I believe is the wrong way and there should be a 5-10mm gap, he said he always does it right up to the edge and he claims that his way is correct and everyone else does it this way.

I believe I am right and I have asked for this to be taken off and replaced the correct way, can anyone confirm who is in the right here and am i correct to withhold payment until this is done correctly.

We have had other work done by other joiners in this house and the last one and everyone seems them with a gap.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always have left a gap (old school), but lately I've seen a lot flush with edge of frame (modern way).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    tore81 likes this.
  3. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I've always set back bout 8mm, if you set it flush you can have issues with the hinge knuckle binding

tore81, Working On It and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Modern way.:(

upload_2017-6-28_10-13-28.jpeg

Paulie1412 likes this.
  5. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Which when you look closely at that picture the hinge has no knuckle, you'd have to cut the architrave around the hinge if using a fire rated hinge with bearings

tore81 likes this.
  6. jgm

jgm New Member

as a joiner if you were doing the job for me would you ask how I wanted it or just do it? the entire rest of the house has the gap and we have never had to request this off other joiners doing the same job in the past, i dont want to be unreasonable with the joiner which is why I am asking for opinion.

KIAB likes this.
  7. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I'd match existing which ever way round it had been done

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  8. The correct way is to set them back.
    He should have set them back the same distance as the rest of your Architraves, to keep things uniform.

KIAB likes this.
  9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

+1 set them back (Looks odd otherwise in my opinion).

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Agreed, should match the rest of the house and check with the customer before you start the job

If leaving an 8-10mm gap is 'wrong', but that's how the customer wants it, then that's how it should be done

Time for a chat with Mr Joiner o_O

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. jgm

jgm New Member

thank you for all the replies, i just felt like it was me being awkward over a few mm but if its wrong its wrong so have asked for it to be re done

12. As said above.

Traditionally a gap was always left - it simply looks better (adds further width and detail to the overall effect) and it reduces the risk of the hinge binding as Paulie says. I was unaware that the 'modern' trend was to avoid this gap - I can't say I've seen that anywhere, including in local new-builds.

In any event, if there are alternatives ways of doing a job like this, then the chippie should have discussed this with you - no question. At the very least - say he wasn't able to discuss it with you - he should have looked at how the existing archi's have been done and copied this.

I think the above are statements of the bleedin' obvious!

If this chippie is being stubborn, then he is a twit - no question whatsoever. He is in the wrong - 100%. He now appears to be compounding his error by being in denial about it.

Getting the archi wrong was a silly mistake, but not accepting responsibility for it is a whole new level of pitifulness.

Be reasonable but firm - and show him the door (fnurrrr) if he does anything less than offer to sort it foc.

He's wrong. Endorf.

(I tend to leave a gap which is similar to the thickness of the edge of the archi which meets it, so that it's an 'even' right angle - to me that's what looks 'right'.)

13. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

End of the day the customers always right, even when there wrong

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I always leave 6mm, if the customer asked for different I would do it.
    I did a job last year where the customer had fitted all the 4 panel doors upstairs but wanted me to do the airing cupboard door because of all the cutting to size that needed doing, got in, measured up, trimmed the door, fitted it, stood back to look at it and realised that he had hung all his doors upside down...

tore81 and Jord86 like this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

On current new builds, we have to leave a minimum of 10mm, any less and you're unable to fit a crank bar in to adjust the hinges whichever way the door needs to go at final fix stage, and as they're 'pre-finished' doors, you're unable to plane them. Ridiculous way of doing things.

16. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

If the door is to open fully, that being the point at which you let go of the handle as it is enough to get past. Then the architrave must be set back enough so that the door won't strike it.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't do new builds so have no idea.
    The hinges sound interesting, do you have a link?

18. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

19. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

That is a funny story chippie. What did he say when he noticed?

20. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Where do I get a crank bar from jordy.

Easy to use?