LED bulbs in lap halogen fittings

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Martint86, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Martint86

Martint86 Member

I've just bought some LAP 240v gu10 downlights from screwfix, it says it's only compatible with c and d class bulbs, is it ok to put led gu10s in?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I can't see why not although I recently came across some led lamps that were too long to fit in the usual Aurora downlights that I use.
    Also some downlights are designed for "heat forward" lamps which send most of their heat out at the front of the lamp, very little heat travelling back into the fitting but this wouldn't apply to led's as there's very little heat there anyway,

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  3. Martint86

Martint86 Member

Cheers for your reply, I thought they would be fine but best to check as you say heat shouldn't be a problem was just making sure the bulbs wouldn't blow or anything

4. If they'll physically fit, they'll be fine.

I've done just that 'conversion', and had to bend the terminal boxes (which were mounted on the end of a metal strip) well out of the way of the longer LED lamps. This did mean that the short wires from the term boxes to the lamp holders were pulled further away inside the holder, so fitting the LEDs afterwards was a bit awkward - the holder couldn't be pulled out as far as before for easy lamp fitting.

I also found that the LED lamps had a slightly thicker front bezel ring which made the circlip a blugger to fit - I had to really push the lamp in so's to expose the groove for the clips.

One of these 'little' jobs you do for your in-laws that turns into a cursing 'mare... :rolleyes:

(Notice my pedantic 'jobsworth' use of 'lamp'...? :oops: )

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ah! gone pro now.:)

Led lamps do vary in length between brands, some are 50mm in length, others can be around 70mm, some maybe a tad longer.

I now just get led lamps from here http://www.ledhut.co.uk/ as I also get cashback from Quidco.:)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  6. Martint86

Martint86 Member

Cheers again, at least I know I've not wasted money on fittings that won't take the LED lamps just hope the lamps are not too long to fit now