Led Consumer Units

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by KIAB, May 19, 2015.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What a brilliant idea this.

Anyone seen the new 'Lumo'consumer LED illuminated units from CPN Cudis, drop down the lid & the lights come on, so simple to see in the dark what's tripped out, the leds are powered by two AA batteries, why hasn't anyone thought of this before.

http://www.cudis-led.co.uk/

[​IMG]

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Great idea, just a bit unfortunate it's in a plastic enclosure! o_O

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

maybe they have only made enough to last the end of the year mate ;)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree, should have been designed for the lastest metal enclosure, I can see other makers coping this idea.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. FatHands

I thought the source was loose connections!

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Very true Fats. ;););)

FatHands likes this.
  8. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

As the number of fires has increased by nearly a factor of 10 in 9 years IMHO it cannot be because of plastic enclosures it must be more down to the type of electrician tightening up the terminals and I don't think that there would be a tenfold rise in incompetent and illegal DIY'ers either. I wonder where they have come from?
    I have to be very careful , I did not really mean "Type" if you get my drift

Incidentally I had a 16 way twin RCD CPN Cudis CU put in by an electrician under the stairs which is now the "electric cupboard" which has very little else in it. Neither are a fire risk IMHO. and being interested in electrics it p****s me off that the darned thing is obsolete after 2 years.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I fitted a split load consumer unit here five years ago to replace a ancient consumer fitted with a mixture of wire & cartridge fuses, rest of house had been rewired but, they never replaced the consumer unit.:eek:

Did a job many years ago in a country house, there were a lot of consumer units of various sizes all around the house, each one made of wood & fitted with a door with a glass window set in it, all fuses were rewirable.
    Some of the cables still in use were lead sheathed, & in the attic, the cables were live, bare, sheathing having long rotted away & supended from porcelain insulators.
    Amazed the house never burnt down.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

According to my assessor and the scary picture on his phone, its the ones under the stairs that are the problem. He reckons it all the junk they shove under there that catches light, I never knew 16 pairs of sweaty shoes and 500 VHS tapes was such a fire risk.

11. FatHands

yeah good point pete. some fabrics can catch alight easily unfortunately

12. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Presumably these are battery powered? I just keep an LED torch in the cupboard, but I agree a neat idea. Could easliy be applied to a thrid amendment metal casing.

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It may comply if its ABS. Schneider and Control Gear Direct have AMD3 compliant plastic enclosures. This one may also.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Light 1.jpg Light 2.jpg I put a maintained emergency LED light in the meter cupboard, the light activates in the event of a power cut and also by a 'push to break' switch which switches the light on when the cupboard door is opened.I found the Toolstation switches rubbish as kept it kept on sticking. The light has been aligned correctly, but the units is out of square if anybody mentions.

FatHands and PaulBlackpool like this.
  15. FatHands

nice Jit!

16. PaulBlackpool

I just have a 72 led magnetic lamp from ASDA which sits above the CU magnetised to the metal cover of the Workshop SWA termination box.

17. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Din rail mounted power supply with rechargeable batts for the LED's, how often does anyone look inside their CU?

The batteries will be flat (unless like we all know Joe public pushes his/her test button monthly as it says on the label to keep an eye on it)

Useless gadget.

Lectrician and seneca like this.
  18. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

. . just to add to this,

The fire dept's default answer to all domestic fires if no other reason can be explained is electrical and fusebox

Reason I know is that I went for the induction course to be a fire fighter a few yrs back and they were more than interested in me owing to my background and the fusebox/CU aspect on causes of fires

19. PaulBlackpool

Funny the total number of relevant fires trebles the year after the London Riots?

20. Lee Burgess

Lee Burgess New Member

Thank for for the positive comment about the Lumo board, these are available in Metal AMD3.

you can buy from your local wholesaler an 8way split load c/w 8 mcbs for £61.00 and 12 way split load c/10 mcbs for £68.00

if you need any other information you can email sales@cudis.co.uk