LED Floodlights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by alarmeng, May 3, 2016.

1. alarmeng

alarmeng New Member

Hi looking to replace some 400w Sodium's but looking for a decent LED fitting of equivalent.

Any one used any recently?

Looking for a some decent units with a decent warranty.

Thanks in advance.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your looking at around 150w- 200w LED floodlights in cool white to replace those sodium floodlights.

What are you lighting.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmm pukka ones would be expensive - but no doubt worth it.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And alot of the better one come with around a 5 year warrenty.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I still don't think even the posh LED floods have anywhere near the "range" of traditional MH or SON floods. Sure they're bright, but they don't throw as far.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree, but with a bit of thought. you can usually you can over come the short fall of throw with careful position of the LED fittings.
    But, the potential saving in electric, outweighs that disadvantage of throw of the beam.

Other week I was reading up about LED sports stadium lights for local school sports pitch, they were around £400 per fitting for a 200w floodlight.:eek:

Found linky:

http://www.ledecolite.co.uk/led-sports-stadium-lighting.html

7. Lectrician

Yes, I agree, but it doesn't make them ideal for "retrofitting" one old fitting for one new fitting.

I have had great success with LED lowbays and highbays, but have used premium fittings at around £450 each. They are less than half the wattage and far brighter. Fitted around 80 in a warehouse at the beginning of this year and it went from being dull to very bright, with a huge cost saving over a year of around £12k. With the whole job cost, it works out the payback is in roughly 5 years. Hopeful the fittings will outlast this though!

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better lighting makes for a safer working environment.

9. nffc

nffc Active Member

To be equivalent to a 400w at least a 220w LED would be required.

Sector ones are great and about £300 a pop.

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I've always said that about LEDs, you can have an LED torch that is bright enough to illuminate the JB you are working on brilliantly but it wont even light up the other side of the loft. Yet you can have a cheapo torch that will shine on the clouds if you point it to the sky.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  11. peter palmer

You can get a 400W M/H fitting for about 40 quid, thats a lot of outlay to recoup before the LED breaks, especially when its still using 220 watts of power. As always the only way to save energy with LEDs is to leave them on all the while, I just dont buy into the argument myself.

12. I'd have thought that brightness is brightness is brightness.

I have one of these cheapo LED torches - around a couple of squid on t'Bay - and they have a focusing lens. Lights up t'bottom of my garden no problem - it's a bright little beast.

13. Lectrician

Exactly, you have to focus it ;-)

14. Only if you want a sharp beam.

What do you think the parabolic reflector in a 'normal' torch does... :p

15. Actually, I know which torch I wouldn't shine into my eyes...

16. peter palmer

Which is exactly what the e'lcheapo LED downlight do to make them look brighter than they actually are.

17. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Would induction lighting not be better than an LED?

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Invented by Nikola Tesla, but induction has been overshadowed by LED,induction has advantages & disadvantages, they are not dimmable,& in cold weather they have a long warm up time when first switched on, but, they have a very long life,at least 60,000 hours or longer.
    I can't see induction being used for exterior flood lighting, as LED floodlights are being fitted every where, you only have to look at the football clubs, Arsenal,Chelsea,Southampton to name a few have all changed to LED for pitch lighting as has rugby & cricket grounds.

19. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Led always had a haze over the beam and a very low spill. I still font like the colour rendering even with warm light. I dislike them in town centres as they make the town centre look cold.

20. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Having said that, the 60watt ones used in festival gardens lit the rocks and trees up beautifully.