LED Replacement Lamp

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by CDH111, Mar 18, 2015.

1. CDH111

CDH111 New Member

I have just purchased a Contractors Pack of the Robus Fixed Round Mains Voltage Fire Rated Downlight White 240V (Product Code: 44456) and the intention was to fit them all with Robus GU10 LED Lamps 625Lm Cd 8W (Product Code 50154).
    From the reviews on both products, it looked like what I intended to do was acceptable and had been done by other Screwfix customers.
    However, I have noticed that on the box of the LED Lamp it states "Not suitable for operation in closed fire rated downlight" which has completely confused me.

Can anyone advise whether there would be a problem fitting these LED lamps in the Downlighters?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just contact Screwfix and they will tell you.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Darn pricey lamps.:eek:
    LED lamps run very cool, so I'm at a lost to explain it.

I use the lamps below in Sylvania fire rated downlighters & have no problems, so it may be a error or they use different electronics wich produces some heat, which in turn will shorten the life of the lamp.
    Suggest you contact Robus for clarification on this, would be interesting to know.

Email: info@ledgrouprobus.com

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights...-lumens-50-watt-equiv-3x1-5050-smd-chips.html

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/gu10-led-bulbs/new-4-5-watt-gu10-cob-bulb-wide-beam-angle.html

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't you belive it.

5. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

my understanding is that LED lamps must stay cool otherwise they blow, so with it being inside a fire rated can, may reduce it's life span by holding onto any heat produced?

B J

6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

7. pedrocik

pedrocik New Member

CDH111, although the warning has been given on the lamp regarding using it in places with higher temperature than average, I believe it’s just a precaution like any company would give you. They can be used but you need to take care that the temperature doesn’t exceed a lot or this lamp will produce the first blowout noise that you hear. PS. Lamps don’t run very cool, you need to be a bit cautious.