Led strip lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jay459, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

i will be installing some backlighting for my new fireplace. I want a 0.8m length of led strip behind my wooden beam.

I've tracked the wall and cable is in place behind beam. Now I just need right stuff, do I need anything special to withstand heat from stove?

I want warm white led strip powered from an led driver, and a small rocker switch to turn on/off.

Also how does the aluminium profile work, I've read this should be installed to help with diffusion

Would this be ok?

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

You may well have problems with heat.
    Best bet is to place a thermometer where you intend running the strip and check the temperature with the stove on.
    The aluminium profile, just holds the strip, and a translucent plastic cover is clipped to the front to diffuse the light.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can get very toasty in a fireplace with a woodburning stove.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I agree with KIAB, I have a wood burner and certainly wouldn't consider putting anything (especially of plastic construction) whithin the area nearby.

5. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I know what you mean, Im cautious about installing this myself. But it does seem to be very popular at the minute, a lot of fireplaces are being done with backlighting. I will ask the people who are doing the stonework for my fireplace. They do it but its expensive and Im sure i can do it myself if i can get the right parts....

LED's have a high heat resistance but cant find any precise numbers and still not sure about switch, perhaps a metal rocker switch would be best...

6. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

What about something like this for protecting LED strips? You could conceal the driver and have it remote controlled too.

7. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I managed to get this installed and it has been fine for the past week. I used an aluminum led light bar, they are that good of quality I'm going to use them in my kitchen. Its low voltage and have the led drive and switch behind my tv so the only thing above the stove is the light bar itself.

Only thing is I used double sided foam tape but light is barely holding....

What can i use on the back of the bar to stick it to the lintel, and also hoping to cover the flex cable that is also there, pretty much want to cover everything i can from the fire and something that will hold it well without being affected by the heat. Don't think screws or nails will go through lintel..

Would grab adhesive or fire cement be up to the job'?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Joe95 and koolpc like this.
  9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Hope the LED does not melt in time.

2nd Stixall! lol

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stixall is brilliant, endless uses, stuck mumsie marble cake turntable together with it, six later it hasn't come apart yet.:)

Joe95 likes this.
  11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Can it repair marriages?

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sadly not.:(

Joe95 likes this.
  13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I expect to see Stixall when I click on a thread now...:rolleyes::D

Although I think its better than Pinkgrip and Sticks like ****.
    A tad expensive for a box of 12 though, almost double the cost of white Pinkgrip:(.

Saved for the nice customers;)

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I used stixall on the skirting last week. Strong stuff!!!

15. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Or for customers who won't pay

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Thinking outside the box:D:D

KIAB and Sparkielev like this.
  17. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Why not just fire cement as already have a large tub of that will last me a lifetime. Will it not cover the flex and hold LED light bar in place. This is the type of bar I have. It's aluminium as has been fine now with quite a few fires lit.

https://www.led-supplies.com/led-kitchen-lighting/led-kitchen-lighting/

I think it will be ok but time will tell, there's no danger anyway. If the LED goes it goes

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now't wrong with fire cement, you got it, so try it, might work, if not then Stixall which definitely will stick it.

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

A couple of metal brackets screwed to the wall would be my choice.