LED's explained please?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by teabreak, Apr 12, 2014.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi all,
    I have been ordering some LED bulbs to replace my old type. I hate CFL's thank goodess LED,'s seem to be taking off now.
    I have noticed that some are like little bulbs while others seem to be a series of cream/yellow plates, can anyone explain the differance between them please?

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes. The clusters of little yellow plates are called SMD (surface mounted devices) and these can give a better spread of light. They are being successfully used around tubes as well, known as 'cobs' as they resemble sweetcorn cobs. Single LEDs are generally one large discrete diode whereas SMDs which are clusters of smaller plates. The principle is the same in that the LED is emitting light. The electronics behind it is very technical and I don't know much about it. :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Ah!Thanks unphased. So if I were able to see inside the little bulbs they would have a small single yellow plate too the the others are just multiples of the same thing.Is that right?

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Pretty much, yes. By using larger clusters of smaller SMDs they can be made brighter.

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Cheers! thanks for the quick reply:)

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I purchased some SMD LED GU10 replacements off eBay that came from China and they have no protective cover! I have used them but I thought the same, ie if anyone touched the SMDs are they 'live', enough to exert a lethal shock? I didn't realise they had no cover until they arrived. :( They are out of reach, just, but I certainly wouldn't buy any in future if they had no lens cover.

8. Biochef

Biochef Member

Every day is a school day :)

9. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

I've found some of the cheap ones with exposed chips also have low frequency flicker and it gives me a headache just like fluorescent lights do.

What I would like to have seen is how much voltage was at the point where he was getting the reading from as we all know current is only half the equation to getting a shock.

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

11. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

How about in a bathroom:eek::eek::eek: