Less than 6 months old,KMS door entry system causes electric shock

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

As per titleo

It has been reported over the last 3-4 months by neighbours that had been shocked by it, & 20 minutes ago was the 1st & hope the last time I get shocked by it

Housing out of hours, are not treating is as an emergency, & said they will contact the out of hours electrician but can't guarantee he will attend

Plus the rain doesn't help

There are deaf residents with hearing aids & a pensioner that is over 80 years old

Is there a governing body, that I could go to

Would H&SE take it onboard ??

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

What has happened exactly mate? The entry panel become live?
    Can it be isolated until the electrician has arrived?

3. Welshdragon1

I got shocked, when I placed the key fob over the panel & reached for the door handle to open the door

No isolation available, due to the controls are in a locked metal cabinet, which is behind a locked wooden cabinet. Ok I could get the wooden so-called fire door, with no fire strips on the edges, open, since there is a wide gap & wouldn't take much levering with a screwdriver to open.

Yet I wouldn't be able to open the locked metal cabinet

It is one of the modern cloud KMS systems & incorporated fireman's switch just outside & above the main door

4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Give the H and S a ring tell them to log it as a complaint ask for reference number ........... then who knows, if they ignore it someone will be in the chit :)

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

All KMS/Entratec systems only have 12v at the door, if a decent voltage is present it's obviously coming from somewhere else I would suggest, are there any other cables around that could be mains and damaged?.

Out of interest where is the installation location?.

6. Welshdragon1

Cheers flat, will do

Here is a list of my housings certs

• Contractors Health and Safety Scheme (CHAS) approved contractor.
    • National Inspection Council for the Electrical Installation Contractor (NICEIC) certified.
    • NICEIC Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) for PV, heat pumps and solar thermal hot water.
    • Gas Safe certified.
    • Constructionline approved contractor.
    • National Computing Centre Accreditation.
    • Three staff members have passed the Landlord Accreditations Wales Scheme.
    • Investors in People.
    • Management Development Programme accredited by ILM.
    • Three staff members are qualified in asbestos surveying (P402) and the management of asbestos in buildings (P405).

@Rulland

There is no exposed cables, that I can see internally, however, there is an external light outside above the door & a aerial for their WiFi cloud

Forgot to add location, if you mean for regs it's South Wales

If you mean location of controls, they are to the left of the door as you look outside, with the enty panel on the right

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  7. Welshdragon1

Update:

2 x Sparkies have arrived & mentioned static electricity, before even testing ??

If that the case why have it not affected me before now ??

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I install those systems, so intrigued as to who deals with South Wales, not me btw.
    As I said, there are only low voltages involved, apart from a transformer in the panel, which supplies 12v directly after a 6A mcb.

9. Welshdragon1

I am also not sure tbh & phoned a company fairly local before asking on here, just to ask them who to report the findings to, was told that they would call out & it would cost £101.00 to be paid tonight by CC, for them to call out

Although, the sparkies have gone & there have not done any testing, so it seems that they are putting it down to static ??

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Just another quick point, the door entry panel (at the door/side screen),would be earthed normally as a matter of course to help reduce 'noise' interfering with audio/door release etc.

11. Welshdragon1

If it is static,

Could it be a bad earth fault ??

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I'm struggling tbh to see how it can be static, which is by nature created by movement, ie rubbing stuff together to induce a potential difference on a surface.
    And especially if it's a conductive door/frame etc, there would surely be a 'return path' via other routes to good old terra firma.

Put it this way, I have never encountered a static problem before on any door entry system, not saying it can't happen though.

Kill the entry system and see if the 'static' disappears to!.

13. Welshdragon1

That is why ""IF is a big word tbqh & I am also struggling to believe it to be static, that said, if it is caused by some sort of short etc, why don't we get shocked every time we enter the property.

To describe the position of my hands

My left hand had the fob protruding out 98% of the way with the few mm held between my thumb & finger, attached to the keyring, with my keys cupped in my hand a no more than 10mm away from the glass panel that the fob needs to be inline or touching

My right hand was on the door handle, ready for my to pull open outwards

Not sure if wearing my steel toecap work trainers helped minimise the shock though......

If only I could kill the supply, I would of in the 1st instance before calling them out tbh

14. rd1

rd1 Member

Amazing, is this a Local Authority/County Council property? if so then I would speak to the health and Safety department of the relevant Council.I would also mention that it is live and now its been reported it and if resulted in a fatality or serious injury it could result in a Court case involving Gross negligence or even manslaughter for the persons inactivity.

I would also speak to the local Elected member for the area and the Cabinet member for the County council and let them know of the problem,your frustration and the inactivity and response from the local authority.

I am also intrigued as to the other visitors to the building , have they not reported it and if so how did they get on? I am surprised nobody has asked the local paper to come and open the door!

Unbelievable in this modern day that when a problem arises, that may only be low voltage, but could be something far more serious it is not investigated properly and dealt with correctly.

Good luck with it and lets us know how you get on.

15. Welshdragon1

It's a housing authority & I phoned them yesterday afternoon, & was told "Will get sparkies out within the next few day"s & after telling her very sternly, that I would be going to H&SE & the papers, she will get someone out yesterday.

I had to go out so do not know if they turned up or not, will check with the neighbours, later.

I know some of the neighbours that has been shocked by it & has reported it, in previous weeks, not sure abut their visitors though, will ask.

I did also message my local councillor & she has written my housing a stern email & I was CC'd in :)

The local council & my housing, are in bed together & they can't do no wrong in each others eyes, both saddening & sickening at the same time.

My housing has the Certs as mentioned above & this ain't the 1st time they have bundled the electrics.

1st time approx 2011 the sparky installing a new CU, drilled into the pyro cable & my CU went BANG resulting in me having a temp pyro cable through my letter box until a new one was installed by western power after they spliced into an underground cable, yet the sparkies supervisor claimed all electrical work was safe before it blew, to top it all off it shares a cupboard with Mr gas metre. Still have the photos somewhere, will dig them out & upload them.

2nd the Supervisor upon being asked to check why the old flat cable had insulation tape on it, said there will be nothing wrong with the cable as their test would pick up on it, when he used a metal hop up & reached over my metal filing cabinet to pull the tape off the cable, whilst the cable was live, sure as eggs are eggs, there was a nick in the outer cable, deep enough to show the inner cable & he refused to either replace it or get his any of the crew to replace it, until I threw him up against a wall & said, if it doesn't get changed today, you won't be going anywhere except in a pine box, it was replaced straight away, then a few days later I had a letter from my housing threatening to take me to court for my actions & after I set the record straight & they found out why, I received an apology letter, which I still have

3rd In the communal stairs & landings, they smashed the faceplates off the walls that was covering the old lighting wiring & left them exposed & live (I tested it), the Supervisor (yes he still works there) I mentioned claimed the wires weren't live, so I got my tester & proved him wrong & he called me a liar (made formal complaint) still waiting fir a reply & for his removal from the firm, Have photos somewhere, albeit H&SE wasn't interested unless there was an incident or fatality.....

I think with this incident with the main door, I will have a word again with the NICIEC to see if they will revoke their Certs.

Still haven't contacted H&SE yet

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

A bit of a long shot but just wondering if there's any ground potential there, what's the earthing arrangement for the building? Just wondering if there's a PD between the earthing of the panel and the local ground!

17. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi Welshdragon

Let me check this, are you a qualified spark? I am in South Wales, where abouts is this problem?

Cheers

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As a person, I'm terrible for building up static electricity, if I go on a long drive I sometimes nearly blow my fingers off shutting the car door afterwards, but on a normal short drive there's nothing, could it be that when you and your fellow resident's have had a shock, you have been doing something that's built up your static levels.

19. Welshdragon1

I couldn't tell you the earthing arrangement tbh, However I can tell you the the feed to all properties except mine, is over 30 years old, still using a short fat glass fuse, which blew the day the sparkie installed the CU when he drilled into the pyro cable, & had to source one from 2 from Cardiff, there is a metal strip on the side of the block going into the ground up to the roof, & can not see any wires attached to it.

#Bazza

No I am not a qualified spark, but gained more enough sense & experience over the years to be able to test circuits, before working on them or to make safe F.Y.I the tester I used is a screwdriver type that you put your thumb on the end, that tests live through the outer casing of the cable & if it lights up a red glow then the cable is live

#Phil

If that were the case would that not of happened to the original & fully working KMS system over the past several years ??

&

Most likely to a lesser amount of people ??

They only changed it so they could go to the cloud, A complete waste of money from a non profit housing authority

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  20. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="
    #Bazza

No I am not a qualified spark, but gained more enough sense & experience over the years to be able to test circuits, before working on them or to make safe F.Y.I the tester I used is a screwdriver type that you put your thumb on the end, that tests live through the outer casing of the cable & if it lights up a red glow then the cable is live
    [/QUOTE]

So where in South Wales are you? I may be able to help.