levelling a bathroom floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by twiggs396, Jun 20, 2017.

1. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Hi all,

I am doing my bathroom at the moment and noticed my floor is sloped. I have removed all the floorboards and have provisionally laid a chipboard floor.

I have noticed the floor slopes away, the 1.25meter length of the floor has an 18mm difference at one end maaning there will be a gap where the wall tiles meet the floor tiles meet so I need to sort it.

Its not a big area so I am thinking either to pack ontop of each joist with a long strip of ply.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Jon

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Does it slope along each joist or just from joist to joist? From joist to joist is easier to deal with.

I have recent dealt with a ceiling that sloped in two directions and I wanted it reasonable level to allow tiling to look even.

Get a laser line and set it or horizontal at the highest corner of the room and adjust the height of beam above the joist in the corner to a nice round figure, say 200mm. Then with a steel ruler, measure from each joist to the beam in several places, subtract 200 from that and you will have the difference.

For each joist get a apiece of timber planed down to the smallest amount and then use packing wedges to adjust along the length - glue or tack into place. Repeat on each joist across teh room. Relay floor and drill pilot holes through board and strips before screwing down.

As for using chipboard - why? Not the best to tile on and often needs over boarding before you do so. I always suggest Hardie Floor - can tile on immediately, a lot more rigid and fully water resistant.

3. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

Luckily it is from joist to joist so it is easier to deal with. I was thinking and 18mm strip of wood at the furthest joist then slope it down gradually on each other joist

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-P5-T+g-Chipboard-Flooring-18-x-600-x-2400mm/p/164516

This is the chipboard I am using, I am going over this with a 6mm cement backed insulation board, then underfloor heating mat, then a self levelling compound over the top to about 3mm thickness then the tiles.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

5. twiggs396

twiggs396 New Member

The only problem being is I have already bought all my materials.