Levelling compound on a damp proof membrane

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nicnacs, Jan 29, 2006.

1. nicnacs

nicnacs New Member

Hello
    I was recently advised to lay a damp proof membrane on my basement floor by a damp proof company. Unfortunately they didn't make it clear that I would need to lay a 50mm screed on top of the membrane. I can't afford to lose that height and I've now reached the point of thinking there wasn't actually a problem with damp - I'd taken the floor up some months ago and had a very basic plastic sheet down with some cloth material on top as a temporary floor and not seen any signs of damp.

So now I'm thinking what if I lay a levelling compound on top of the membrane - will that allow me to lay tiles on top? I had thought of laying aquapanels and then tiles, but apparently the adhesive for the aquapanels would affect the membrane.

So membrane, levelling compound, tiles?
    Or membrane, levelling compound, aquapanels, tiles?

Any thoughts? I'm just worried that the levelling compound won't adhere to the membrane or will affect it in some way.

Thanks
    nicole

2. mlpropertyservices

mlpropertyservices New Member

Nicole, I wouldn't put a self levelling compound directly on top of a DPM as the compound is only laid in a very thin layer and as there will be no adhesion it will crack up as soon as any pressure is applied. If you don't have enough depth to lay a floor screed you might find that an asphelt layer a better option. It can be laid alot thinner than screed it is 100% water resistant and very solid. Although it can be quite expensive it's a very viable and effective option.

Mike

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would have thought aquapanel straight down, NO membrane, tape and tile would do it.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. THE BUILDER MAN

THE BUILDER MAN New Member

5. nicnacs

nicnacs New Member

An asphalt layer? I'd not thought of that. But what can you lay on top? I figure I have three options:

1) give in and put a 50mm screed on top
    2) dig it out - what a job, and what come back do I have with the people who advised me to lay the membrane in the first place
    3) find a solution - like laying an asphalt layer

Thanks Handy Andy but the membrane is already down. And I don't fancy my chances of being able to get it up easily!

I'm going to try to exhaust option 3 first so if anyone has any ideas in addition to the asphalt, I'd be grateful. In the meantime, I have the damp proof company concerned coming round this week to give me some advice on a damp wall......I may just hassle them to find out what recompense they can offer me.

Thanks
    Nicole

6. mlpropertyservices

you can lay pretty much anything you like on top of asphalt. if laid properly asphalt will be perfectly flat and smooth, providing a good key and excellent stability. Perfect for any covering really!!

7. chappers

chappers Member

Also 50mm is not really enough for an unbonded screed anyway 65mm as an absolute minimum.

8. nicnacs

nicnacs New Member

Would the asphalt adhere to the membrane? This is a right conundrum!

9. mlpropertyservices

when the asphalt is laid it's about 100 and something degrees so it would melt the membrane straight away. you certainly won't have a problem with it sticking!!

10. nicnacs

nicnacs New Member

OK so now the damp man (who came back to give me some advice) says he's not aware of a need for depth of screed!

He says I can lay ceramic tiles directly on top of the membrane no problem....because ceramic tiles can be laid or should be laid using a cement base. Not adhesive.

What do you reckon to that?!

11. nicknuv

nicknuv New Member

You say you might (option 3) lay an asphalt layer.

I'm an asphalt layer. ;)