Levelling Floor for Engineered Wood Floor - Creaking

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by benben5555, Jul 27, 2014.

1. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Hi All,

I'm laying an engineered wood floor over floorboards and am having a terrible time!

I first layed it over the floorboards with foam underlay and it creaked when walked on, so then I added fibre board underlay in place of the foam and it still creaked, then I put WBP 18mm ply over the whole floor with the fibre board underlay and it still creaks. I'm not sure if this is because it isn't level or because of the flooring itself.

Has anyone had the same problem? And how do you fix it?

I can see the floor moving very slightly under foot but understood that the floor should be able to withstand a small amount of movement, the instructions state 3mm per meter. I can't live with the creaking every step!!!

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Have you checked the joists underneath everything?? Could be these are now deflecting with the added weight of the 18mm ply.

3. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Did you do a thorough inspection of the existing floor first?
    If not give it a good check over and it would be sensible to go over floor and screw floorboards down onto joists. As JJ says check for deflection to. If the sub floor is solid after this and no creaking then fibre board underlay should be sufficient unless the timber floor is in really poor condition.

4. Biochef

Biochef Member

What John 1959 said I am thinking floor isn't quite flat and new boards are making contact with slightly raised floorboards causing new floor to rest on ridges and when you walk on the new boards your weight and new boards together is causing the the ridge to be pushed down ;)