Levelling floor

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by DonnaItalia, Nov 10, 2014.

1. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

My new kitchen refurb has been a car crash. The 'tiler' has quoted for "Latexing the floor ready for new tiles" and then "laying floor tiles". The area to be tiled is about 8sqm. Does this assume that he's going to apply a self-levelling floor compound, and then lay tiles once it's dry? Or can it be levelled with the tile adhesive?

Reason I ask is that the tiles are not level and I know for certain that he didn't coat the floor with anything in advance of laying the new tiles on top of the old ceramic tiles. If he hasn't levelled it first, how much should I knock off the bill?

2. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

Tell him you're not happy with the job and you want it doing again. Ask him what he was on about with the latex (to me it would mean levelling compound). He should have at least primed the old tiles. If he won't redo then try negotiate a new price given that he didn't do what he said he would.

DonnaItalia likes this.
  3. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

They've been back twice already after the initial floor tiling was laid to rectify chipped or loose tiles and each time they make things worse. I haven't paid the bill yet so just wanted to know how much to negotiate off the final amount...

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Why are they tiling over the old tiles, that would have set alarm bells ringing for me, they should have taken them up, leveled the floor with latex, then fitted new tiles, sounds like a bodge job to me..:confused::confused:

DonnaItalia and FatHands like this.
  5. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

Why would there be loose tiles on a newly laid floor? You've definitely had the cowboys in there. It's up to you to try renegotiate a payment, but just factor into the cost what it will be to redo the whole job (by a professional) in a few months time.

DonnaItalia likes this.
  6. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

They removed the existing tiles which had been laid on top of previous tiles - looked to be from the 1950s. If you follow the kitchen fitters forum you'll know what a nightmare this has been. The only saving grace is that i haven't paid them a penny and don't trust them to put it all right. Will be getting in another contractor to remedy and deducting cost from bill. Thank you all for your comments and advice.:)

7. mumbley joe

mumbley joe New Member

agreed