Levelling Front Garden to Use As a Parking Area

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by silver fox, Jan 31, 2014.

1. silver fox

silver fox New Member

Hi all,

I would like to create some off street parking on my front garden which slopes down towards my house. I do have lots of old bricks from my kitchen wall removal which I was thinking of using as hard core to raise the downward slope end. Then mot on top compacted down before deciding what to top it off with. The problem is, how do I retain the end where I build it up? I would rather not have a brick wall (cost and looks), so what are my best options????

Any advice really appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You don't say how high you are planning to build it up, you will have to take into account drainage aswell due to current planning laws on surface water disposal.

3. silver fox

silver fox New Member

Hi Phil, probably needs to be raised about 50cm ish, although the soil already has a drop in it towards the house, but it slopes and isn't retained in any way. The surface should be permeable enough to allow rain water to soak downwards and not run off into the street if I hard core and mot and compact it down, just need to figure out the surface. My neighbour has laid 2 rows of thick old slabs with gravel everywhere else, but not sure if I would like that?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you really don't want to use bricks or blocks, ( the strongest option), you could use modern railway sleepers laid flat, so they are 250mm wide x 125mm high, 4 of these will give you your 500mm (50cm), how many you will need is unknow due to not knowing the size of proposed drive, if you use a porous material for the drive then the drainage issue is covered.