leyland yellowing gloss

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Biffo, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Biffo

Biffo Member

Had all my hall stairs and landing refurbed about 12 months ago new dado ,new paper
    all the glosswork was primed undercoated and 2 coats of gloss all ok for 6 months now its a filthy yellow , it shows up big time against the emulsioned paper been onto leyland and i quote " you are lucky to get 6 months out of it before it goes yellow .
    they have offered to replace the paint foc but not any ££ to do the job why sell this rubbish if its not fit for the job ??

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I was in SF 2 weeks ago, and another had a similar problem with a Leyland product. It was a satinwood finish. The customer complained that the painted articles turned out cream in colour and not white.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's to do with the reduced voc's (Volatile Organic Compounds),in paint.
    Changed to Dulux paint Diamond Eggshell or Satin ( can't remember which it is, as they changed the tin) & it ain't yellowing yet.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The Dulux Diamond range of paints are acrylic water based products hence no yellowing.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Someone who can remember.:)

6. Apparently it'll remain pretty white - as long as it's in full sun...

Try painting your window cill and then leaving a coaster on it for a few weeks - the yellow disc underneath will amaze you.

(He says from bitter experience... :oops: )

Yep - sticking to water-based now.

7. Biffo

Biffo Member

they have offered the water based to me , so how do i go about it , do i need to get the timber back to wood or what ??

or can i sand it back a bit then undercoat and gloss ??

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Whatever way you tackle this, the jobs will be a nightmare for such a large area, the biggest problem will be accurately cutting in along the top of the skirting boards and around the edges of the door frame architrave etc.

Water based gloss paints do not cover as well as the solvent paints so you will end up applying two coats. You do not need to go back to the wood, use 120 grit to flat the existing paint surface then I would re gloss with one coat Dulux Trade brilliant white high gloss (Solvent based).

Biffo likes this.
  9. DS99

DS99 New Member

Exact same problem with Leyland paint :-( Absolute rubbish! decorator glossed throughout and after 2 months everything has gone cream. Even the drips down the side of the tin are clearly not the 'Brilliant White' that it says it is.

Certainly shan't be using Leyland again.

Have used water based around my own home and yes, it does take a lot of work to get it to cover and leaves brush marks if you're not careful, but 3 years later it is still beautifully white. :)