Life in the trade

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Jul 12, 2014.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Feeling down. Feeling like I am wasting my time. I get so flippin fed up of having quotes ignored. Having people wanting stuff cheap. Battling to get customers. Battling against stupid buggers who price too low to get work. its not a nice place to be really. I fitted an alarm system in April that was upset by a power spike. I went out to look at it this morning and wasn't offered a feckin penny. It's ypical of society. Everything that trades people do seems to be a liability. Friends...not worth working for. its kind of expected, isn't it, by customers, that everthing you install must be your fault if it goes wrong. Fuming mad at life at the minute. Working my *** off and getting feckin nowhere.

Rant over.

G'night

FatHands likes this.
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

When you say "wasn't offered a feckin penny", why didn't you just produce a bill, after all it wasn't your fault there was a power spike.

3. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

I know how you feel. I did a job the other day, at late notice, as a favour. It cost me money for materials etc. Not offered a penny.

I'll be sure to make sure I'm too busy when they ask next time.

Everyone thinks being self employed is fantastic but, there are plenty of times when it is not. We have all had those customers who just cannot be pleased.

4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Have a look at rated people, there are people on there advertising jobs for a pittance and stupid tradesmen willing to do them cheapest quote wins. I gave it a try but give it up sharpish the only ones doing well are the people running it. Kerching The qualifications required just say you are qualified to do everything and no checks carried out :(

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

know what ya mean unphased, its the same with our customers, you do a job for um and they think they've hired a maintenance man for a while using terms like " well it never did that before" and " since you came the weathers gone funny",
    I did a tap washer for a neighbour ( old lady lives on her own) only lives a few doors away her tap was dripping, I charged her a tenner, a week later she's knocking on my door, its still dripping, i told her you'll probably need a new tap then, you choose the taps you want and i'll fit them for £30, she said, oh no i've paid you to fix it aND I WANT IT FIXING, So I handed her her tenner back and said , here luv phone British gas they'll fix it for you, o_O

6. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Thats a good idea tom, I don't blame you one little bit

7. Cheburashka

Your not wrong there Tom, anything that goes wrong after you have done something is suddenly your fault. your lucky her roof didn't start leaking or that would have been your fault too (and I'm being serious).

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Do you get the "can you give me a ballpark figure?" a lot. Then it magically becomes a 'quote'. Had one example where I forgot to make good a hole in a ceiling. Got the phonecall. "You haven't done the hole in the ceiling". So I went and did the hole in the ceiling and sent them the bill. Got another call. "Why are you charging us extra for the hole in the ceiling?" My reply, "because you asked for a ballpark figure at the start of the job and the hole in the ceiling was a valid chargeable item that I had simply overlooked and anyway I don't repair holes in ceilings unless we agree beforehand that it is part of the job." I got paid.

9. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Your not alone unphased.;)

10. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Its true no matter what you did what happens next is down to you ...... No matter how unrelated the problem is :(

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I've had similar. I fitted a kitchen a few years ago and the sink was plumbed in by a plumber (god knows why, when I'd said I would do it) About 3 months after the kitchen was fitted, the chap phoned me up saying there was a leak under the sink. Went and had a look and one of the flexi pipes hadn't been fully tightened. Managed to tighten it up.. A month ago the same chap phones up saying the tap's now leaking. Went round and it's one of the washers in the tap that's letting by. Told him to call his plumber out. His response was "You fitted the kitchen, I want it fixing." :eek::eek: I told him, although I'd fitted the kitchen, his plumber had installed the sink, so it wasn't my problem. (he ain't phoned back up to now,, fingers crossed)

12. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

BL**dy plumbers.:oops::oops:

13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Hiya me old mucker

think between you, me, Lec and a few others truly know what its like out there

I am the same, working my **** off and seeing not a lot of return in profit

Clients do seem to want everything for a very low price, last invoice sent out was everything to date on the Friday, have to go back Monday to wire the AGA in, install an outside socket and exchange a faulty downlight which they understood.

This would be sent under a separate invoice, together with changing the existing 16th edition splitloader to a 12 way RCBO board

For some reason, they get the idea they have finished paying for the job, which is still incomplete and all these extras are free *** and were not in the contract

I would stress to anyone doing this game GET A CONTRACT IN WRITING

S

FatHands likes this.
  14. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Unphased,
    Sorry to read you are a down in the dumps mate.:(
    I think its hard everywhere regardless of what game you are in at the moment. And you are right: it seems most want something for **** all!
    The other slightly frustrating thing which has been created (in my opinion) by the trade generation sites is this "budget" thing where the customer is effectively telling the tradesmen what price they will pay for the job they want.
    Prior to these types of sites, the customer would find a couple of tradesmen and ask them to spec and price the job up. I can understand with bigger jobs like extensions and loft conversions as sometimes this figure could be a difference between them deciding to do the job, or move to a bigger house.
    Not sure if you do domestic and commercial but i know boys who say domestic is a nightmare and yet others who say commercial is worse as businesses are generally slow payers.

Hope you have a good week mate.
    Cheers
    Fats

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hello Fats. I am sure what you say has some substance. Customers appear to be dictating to tradesmen. This something-for-nothing society is growing. I am very frustrated with it all tbh. There is no trust it seems. Customers will only get worse as time goes on. I am not sure that being tradesman will be much of a life in the near future, customers will be even more of a nightmare than they are now.

FatHands likes this.
  16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

One reason why we tend to stick to commercial and industrial work - The customers are more realistic, and understand costings! And I don't just mean working in some village shop or cafe (they are often just as unrealistic!).

We had a very difficult time a couple years ago now, and had to loose a few staff. Still not had the courage to take back on, and continue to use subbies for larger jobs, or when too busy. Luckily, we have had a very good 18 months or more with work everyday, but I can appreciate the uneasyness of it all.

Change your customer type - don't advertise in local papers or local door drop magazines. The customers you get through that method of advertising are just the type you want to avoid!

Never quote verbally. Never pander to the "how much roughly" - say you will send a quote. And do be scared to send an invoice for that alarm issue. If it was nothing more than a surge of some sort, and you are hours down, invoice it. If it was only 30 mins and a quick power down and up, and you want to keep them sweet, leave it.

How many quotes go ignored? Do you follow them up?

FatHands likes this.
  17. wally

wally Screwfix Select

When I was in business a few months back I can honestly say that I had very little trouble or payment. I did not chase work, I let it come to me. I was very careful picking my customers, luckily most were old customers (some of which I had for 30 years) & together with recommended work that gave me enough work. I did used to spend a little longer on my quotes & estimates & customers looked favourably on this & it paid off as I could put everything down what had not been included & what had been included. I also gave a discount for prompt payment, no problem with money whatsoever.

Attached Files:

unphased and FatHands like this.
  18. Cheburashka

How are you now Wally? I hope not too bad.

19. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Hi Cheb, not a good day today but no doubt buck up in the near future. Thanks for asking, much appreciated

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Here's another one. :) I started a job two week's ago first-fixing a kitchen. I spent three days on it and left it on Friday 4 July. Now bear in mind this is now 12 days ago. She watched me put the light switch on the wall. I even asked her is this where you want the switch. I go round tonight to disconnect the oven and hob so she can have the units moved out to get the floor screeded (another 'included in the price') and she comes out with, "I've got some bad news for you. The switch is in the wrong place. I've got a tall wine cooler unit to put there it needs to go here instead," pointing to the wall round the corner. Then she says "oh, and another thing, the tiler (her husband) said that socket is too far back he won't be able to tile it". Since there was nothing to fix to it was just secured on the face so she could use it. I really really wanted to ask doesn't the tiler know to fix tiles behind the socket?", and he has to do is loosen the plate to do it? But no, I thought best not, wouldn't want to upset her, I'll just be the one to feel bad and deal with it as usual. Why are people so full on stupid and full on I want this for nothing!!!!!!!!!!! I swear I am going to lose it soon. :mad: