Lifting Chipboard Floors

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by nigel9097, Apr 14, 2014.

1. nigel9097

nigel9097 New Member

Hi,

I need to run a new alarm cable under the floor to a new PIR. My house is only a few years old and all the flooring consists of huge sheets of chipboard, with the walls added on top of it. It would be impossible to take up a sheet of chipboard as they are under the walls, so I am assuming the best way is a circular saw set to the depth of the chipboard.

When cutting the chipboard where would be the best place to make the cuts? Do they have to be near a floor joist? And also how do you fix the piece cut out back in (especially to avoid any squeaking when re-fitted)?

Nigel

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

wireless PIR ?

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you don't go the wireless route there are ways of doing this but by the time you've bought all the tools and jigs to do it you would be better off hiring a chippie.

4. nigel9097

nigel9097 New Member

I am definitely not going the wireless route. Maybe a chippie could be the answer, out of interest though what tools and jigs would I need?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A decent router would be the starting point.

6. nigel9097

nigel9097 New Member

cheers pal

7. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

What about using an Armeg solid board cutter?

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

You don't want to rip a chase out of chipboard flooring. You'll never satisfactorily patch it back up and you'll be cursing the noises it makes afterwards forever.

As above - an Armeg board cutter to make holes you can plug with the supplied plugs. One at each end of a joist run and fish the cable through. Or if you need to traverse a series of joists then a series of holes above each joist and notch the top of the joist. Preferably in the 'safe zone' for notching joists (between 0.07x & 0.25x the span of the joist, to max 1/8 depth of joist )

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  9. Biochef

Biochef Member

Bepending on floor Finnish ie carpets u can run cable along front edge of gripper and removing scirting is also a more easy solution also pir's can go in any corner of a room depending on things like looking at combi so if it's upstairs you would do from loft so I'm assuming it's a downstairs room I would check for mirror door wardrobe in room above and try and bring cable to pirs from above

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You should not need to get any boards up at all to run an alarm cable. They are so thin you should be looking to tuck it in to carpet edges and tack around door frames. Look for a possible route from your panel to the PIR and plan it carefully.

11. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Domestic ***** at it's finest! :eek: