Light fitting error

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jimbob495, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Jimbob495

Jimbob495 New Member

Hey guys,

I've recently changed my lighting fitting from the original which had abit missing from it.

I thought I had kept watch of which wires go where but obviously I haven't. After fitting the new light it doesn't work and has affect two other rooms lighting which doesn't work either.

From the picture below originally both black wires had been wired into one, and both reds in the middle had been wired into one. I tried also changing the right and left wire around which made the light permanently on without the switch, leaving the other two rooms without light.

Where have I gone wrong? Cheers guys.

Attached Files:

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Hum two black wires and 4 red wires. Are you sure one of those red wires isn't a black wire with a red sleeve?

The two black wires are the incoming and outgoing neutral (lights are daisy chained). Two of the red wires are the incoming and outgoing lives. One red wire is the permanent live feed to the light switch, the other red wire is the switched live returning from the light switch (would normally expect this to be a black wire with red sleeving).

You just need to work out which red is which.

tore81 likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

OK here's a clue that might help. Locate which cables the 2 black wires go to, then locate the 2 red wires for those cables - these are the 2 permanent live wires. The other two will be the to- and from- switch cables: connect one to the live "loop" connector and the other to the light connector with the brown wire.

tore81 likes this.
  4. One of the cables will be a twin red and earth which will go to the switch.
    Find which cable this is and one red goes to loop and one red to the brown.
    The switch may be upside down if you do not get them in the right order,so change them at the rose or switch.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Just a guess, the middle two red wires look like they're the to- and from- switch wires.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Light fitting error

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I think they meant light FITTER error. ☺☺☺

Joe95 likes this.
  8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Think about that ...

Changing the pair of wires over will not change it! The OP will need to invert the switch or connect to the other L terminal. However, as he may not have touched the switch, it should not matter.

tore81 likes this.
  10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I would use testers myself but no doubt the op hasn't got testers.

So like above blacks neutrals stay together. Don't touch them.

The classic, missing switch wire.
    Always mark or photo before removing learnt the hard way.!!

So if the lights stays on when you use switch you have found your perm lives. Mark this somehow, So that goes in the loop try the next red one in with the brown and press switch.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  11. If he connects the wires up in a different order as to how they were connected before he changed the rose, the switch will be upside down.
    He will therefore need to swap the wires at the rose or the switch for the switch to be the correct way up,or bodge it and turn the switch round.

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

One of red wires doesn't look terminated

tore81 likes this.
  13. Pollowick

With a standard switch there are 3 connections Com/L1/L2. Assume the Live is fed from the rose to Com and the SwLive return is from L1. If those wires are changed round at te rose and Live now goes to L1 and SwLive returns from Com, the switch operation will not change.

Try it and see ... reversing Live and SwLive will NOT alter the operation of the switch.

Dr Bodgit and longboat like this.
  14. The switch on the wall will be upside down.
    I.E when switch is up it will be on and when down it will be off.

15. Jimbob495

Jimbob495 New Member

So I would pair both blacks into one connector, both reds in the middle into one loop connector, then wire the other perm live into the same connector as the brown or the spare one beside it? Cheers

16. Pollowick

Not it will not ... try it and you will see. Switching Live and SwLive does NOT change the switch operation.

seneca likes this.
  17. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Indeed. It's incredibly simple and basic stuff.

When I was an Apprentice I had to explain to the boss that he was talking complete and utter nonsense that reversing the wires in a 1-way switch would somehow change anything. The switch is still either open or closed and therefore the operation is identical!

18. Apologies was not thinking straight.

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

You could say.....you were switched off!:p