Light fitting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paul Lathan, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

Hi there.i am moving into a house with a conservatory with one ceiling rose.I want to run three pendant lights from this set of wires(only one cable,live,neutral and earth).can I run the lights from one centrally positioned junction box,and if so,will it be just connecting the relevant coloured wires together, as I assume the wiring is coming direct from the switch? Thanks for any replies

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes, put the junction box where the present light is and then run cables to your new lights.

3. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.cheers

4. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

Hi there again.I have just fitted a three terminal junction box with each terminal having four connections.I've connected all four lives together to the brass connection strip and the same for the neutrals and the earth wires respectively.I have just turned the switch on, but nothing happening.Have I done something wrong?

5. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Was it a matter of one cable in (existing) and three out (to 3 x lights)?

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can you post a pic up, make it easier to see what's wrong.

7. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

Sorry for the delay.Yes,it is one cable which had a ceiling rose connected which was working before I disconnected it.Sorry I haven't moved into the house yet,so won't be able to get a photo until tomorrow.thanks for yours replies

8. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

Hi there again.tried to post a reply but didn't happen.Anyway.Yes it is one cable in and I am connecting to three pendant lights via a three terminal junction box which has four brass connections in each terminal.The original cable was wired to a ceiling rose which was working before I disconnected it.I have connected the four lives together and the same for the neutrals and the earths.sorry,I have not moved in the house yet,so not there at the moment,but hope to take some pics tomorrow.cheers

9. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

Hi there.something funny happening.posted a reply but it didn't show.posted it again and they both showed up.came back a few mins ago to see if there was a reply but both posts had disappeared again.try again.Yes there is one original cable which was connected to a working ceiling rose until I disconnected it.sorry I can't post a photo at the moment as I haven't moved in yet.will try to take one tomorrow.hope this post works cheers

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Have you checked to see if an RCD has tripped... Touching Neutral & Earth together will trip an RCD even if the circuit is switched off.

OR... Some of the insulating sleeve on the incoming cores may be trapped in the screw connection on either incoming live or incoming neutral.

FatHands likes this.
  11. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

Hi.RCD has not tripped,but will check on the sleeping issue just in case.cheers

12. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

forgot to mention that it is a dimmer switch,this wouldn tmake any difference would it?

13. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

What type of lamps are fitted to the new pendants? They may not be compatible with the dimmer type.

14. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

hi.They are old stock Habitat which had exterior waterproof cable,which I have replaced with 1.5mm interior white cable.They have fittings for large screw type 100w bulbs

15. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Do you currently have 100W incandescent bulbs fitted to the pendants?

16. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

Hi.no I have put 60w bulbs in at the moment just to test it out

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Have you made sure all the live wires in the ceiling roses are terminated in the SL terminal next to the lamp wire and not in the loop terminal in the middle? I know it sounds obvious but worth asking.

18. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

Hi there. I have just reconnected the feed wiring to the junction box and presto the two outer lights have come on.im assuming that I haven't got a good enough connection on the middle one but rang out of time to have a look at the moment.thanks to all for their help.lets hope that's all it is.cheers

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Light fitting

20. Paul Lathan

Paul Lathan New Member

hi there.Just to let everyonhe know it was a duff bulb,although I had to get a spark in on another matter who told the power for the lights was coming from the sockerts,so it should be on a switched fused spur.When looking at the wiring,it had one live(brown) wire going to L1 and one other brown going to a connection which had a symbol(squiggly horizontal line with a diagonal arrow running through it which I assumed means variable currnet) When I tried to connect these wires into the back of the spur nothing happened?