Light switch wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mark Q, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Mark Q

Mark Q New Member

Hi,
    I have no kitchen light power.
    When checking in behind the switch I see there are three red wires connected to a two switch control. Three black wires connected together into a small jb. The three green wires are again connected and connected inside the housing to a point for earthing. The light fitting in the roof has standard green , brown, blue wires.
    Can someone suggest what I need to do?

2. How have you confirmed there is no power at the light?

3. Mark Q

Mark Q New Member

I have removed the fuse from the fuse box and checked other downstairs lights to ensure this is isolated.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Maybe you are expecting the light to work with no fuse for light in db?

In other words if the fuse has been pulled for the circuit the kitchen light is on - then operating the light switch will not energise the said light op.

5. Mark Q

Mark Q New Member

No I took this out to isolate.......

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Excellent Mark - you are following isolation procedures as per H + S legislation, this is on the assumption that you have proved dead supply,.
    I don't know what's wrong with the light, but ave a good day m8..:)

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

'Isolation' was checked how?

8. So you have isolated the circuit, what do you intend doing with it that you need assistance with?

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You need to explain what you mean by "I have no kitchen light power."

Does that mean that you have tested wires and found no power, or just that the light doesn't work, or what?
    And is it a bulb or fluorescent tube type?
    If it is a fluorescent, have you swapped the starter for a known working one?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really