lighting disconnection times

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by summit22, May 5, 2010.

1. summit22

summit22 New Member

Hi
    Can someone confirm wether a lighting circuit has to
    disconnect within .4sec when on a TN system.The lighting cct is to be on a 6amp cb protected by a 30ma rcd.
    thanks.

2. mbat666

mbat666 New Member

Reg 411.3.2.2 Max disconnection time for a 230v ac circuit below 32a on a tn system is 0.4 seconds

3. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Correct, (on TT system it's 0.2 sec.)

4. mbat666

mbat666 New Member

Blimey that £300 i paid for my 17th update course last month must of been worth it as i knew the answer.

5. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I thought your answer was rather 'word perfect' mbat!

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sen in this case maybe 0.04 secs? With the RCD the 0.4 is largely immaterial?

7. split load

split load New Member

on TT it is 0.2, if you have main bonding on services you can use 0.4s

Gary

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Any circuit subject to a fault on a RCD will disconnect within the tripping time of the RCD surely?..So this makes some values immaterial?..although can see that as long as you are below the requieste times, then I suppose what I say is irrelevant with respect to this.

9. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

on TT it is 0.2, if you have main bonding on services you can use 0.4s
    -----------------------------
    I think you've misunderstood something there Gary, where would you have a TT system that didn't have main bonding to services?

10. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

JP, the 40 m/s is at 5x times the rcd rating.

11. split load

split load New Member

In the regs it says if you have main bonding conductors to incoming services then you can use the TN system 0.4s disconnection times.

page 46 main regs book

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Sen.

13. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Also JP remember that the rcd will only disconnect on an earth fault, it won't see L-N faults!

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Sen..about time I started studying up a bit really..its not the sort of game where guessing at stuff is relevant really. Anyway thanks again Sen, and have a good evening M8.

15. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

page 46 main regs book
    -------------
    This is talking about bonding connecting all extraneous conductive parts of the location, eg supplementary bonding, not main bonding. As supplementary bonding isn't always necessary in 17th due to rcd protection etc the max disconnection time is 0.2 seconds.

16. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Has anyone here actually tried witnessing such a fault whilst in possession of a Swiss-made stopwatch?

Lucia x

17. summit22

summit22 New Member

Thanks for the help.I had found it in the regs but was a little unsure if there was another trick answer.
    summit.