lights flickering .. on new build

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gman34, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Gman34

Gman34 Member

on a new development converting a old house into one new big house im working on which is a lived in project the customer has told me that the lights are well dimming then going back to full brightness occasionally .im wondering what the cause could be all the lamps fitted are currently halogens - i will be sticking in LEDS. I have checked all the lights upstairs and all the connections were really good . the lights downstairs are also doing it . Im not sure if the ones downstairs are on the same circuit i need to check that out . I dont think they are.
    It did it when i was there today and i noticed two things .
    1. the kettle was on when it happened though it still did it once it had boiled also .
    2. i believe that one of the lamps in one of the downlights blew at some point whilst i was there today .
    3.A fair few lamps which came with the fittings i have changed they were gu10 ones that came from senates .
    4. my first thought when they said this the other week was that it sounded like a supply problem . the supply is TNS . SWA i have not upgraded the main earth to 16mm yet.
    the board is a wylex board

2. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I'd check the seating of the tails into the main switch, or Henley block if you've used one. And Neutral tails into busbars for split loads etc.

I've also come across similar problems where there was a dodgy joint on the incoming mains to a property.

But check ALL possible connections on your side before calling the DNO.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Gman34

Gman34 Member

i will check all the connections and all the consumer unit connections . i will also change all the lamps and see if that makes a difference . Could it be the lamps just before they blow causing this ?

4. JD 6400

JD 6400 New Member

Sounds like a poor connection , possibly on the incomer.
    You need to take some voltage readings whilst the installation is under a good load , and see if drops away .

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As Stateit said, check all connections. Waggle the tails a little to see if that causes any flickering and look at all connections inside the c/unit for signs of overheating.

6. Gman34

Gman34 Member

yep ok has anyone known **** lamps to cause not so much flickering but like dimming of other lights in the house just before they blow?

7. Gman34

Gman34 Member

Fixed it !! Yay Was a loose Neutral tail in the meter . in fact all the tails were loose in the DNO's Side in the fuse carrier the neutral block and the meter .
    The old tail was like arc welded in the terminal Managed to replace it freed it up with a drop of WD40 and a massive flat head .
    Was so relieved to fix it . Will call the DNO out when job is completed to get them to replace or re-seal the meter .

8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Glad you got to the bottom of it Gman!