Lights in a Church Cross?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Chris White Electrician, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Could anyone recommend a product/method of providing light in a church cross. The cross itself is a metal box structure with an opaque front. It’s a bespoke cross made many years ago, and hence does not have an IP rating. It measures 1.75M tall and 1.5M wide. There are currently car headlamps inside which illuminate the cross when switched on. These existing lamps/lighting are however becoming increasingly unreliable and when they blow cause dark spots in the cross.

I would therefore appreciate any advice on the best way to completely rewire the lighting in the cross. My number one priority is reliability/longevity of life. It would be no good providing something that needed lamps replaced every year.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Rope lighting was my first thought; however I'm not sure it would be bright enough. Any other thoughts?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I reckon with Cool White it would work ok.

Or what about IP68 LED fluroescent strip lights, can get them in various lengths.

[​IMG]

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not being funny, but is this strictly allowable, being a church and lit up like that?
    I mean, I heard of churches/graveyards not allowing small lights(solar eg) around the grounds, as if a church illuminated is not the way a church should be seen!

Just asking.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, they have a illuminated cross on our church & at Christmas a huge illuminated star, been done every year, for the last 20 years or so.:)

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Have you thought of hiding your light under a bushel?

10. Mr. Handyandy

I understand the Christmas lights would be fine(and other certain occasions).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. Mr. Handyandy

Well I'll be ............

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  15. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

RGB colour-changing if it's an Evangelical Church perhaps?

16. Thanks one and all. Following everyones suggestions, I looked further into the LED option, and there seems to be products that kick out alot more light than the ones I am used to from my usual supplier. I'll therefore go down this route.
    Mr Handyman - Thanks for your concern reference lights in a church/graveyard - maybe because there is no graveyard, the minister (my customer) doesn't have an issue with lighting up his church.
    Thanks again all :)

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The amount of light 'kicked out' depends on the quailty of the LED itself & the number of leds per metre.
    With your cross having a opaque front, I think Cool White would look & have a better overall appearance than Warm White.

Hope you post a night photo of the cross when it's up & working.:)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  18. Mr. Handyandy

Can I just pick up on the word 'opaque' and perhaps use 'translucent' instead ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p